World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's some odd things happening in Mount's Bay folks. Big cod close in and landable bass coming up on mackeral feathers along with pollack. To be precise, last week 10lb cod 1/4 mile form shore, this morning 20lb cod 1/2 mile from shore, (different boats), visitor on local charter boat pulls in string of mackeral feathers with 2 bass and 4 pollack on it - skipper took a pic because he'd never seen it before. Off again tomorrow early - get some of this action while it's there....

Cheers
PB

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
Lack of normal food causing the takes on feathers and the cod to come in close searching for food, may not be a good sign.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Noticed on the Scillonian on Friday that there were several boats pretty close in to the right hand side. Bit too far to tow my boat tho lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think you're right Snaggle.......I have a bad feeling about it too. But what can you do? If it's happening in our time surely we take advantage, as our fathers and their father before them did. Ok That's why no one in Mount's Bay is landing barrels full of herring and pilchard any more - our grandfathers netted them all - that's why. But could we reasonably expect them to have stopped netting them? No, of course not. That was their time, and this is ours. I worry about my grandchild's future, of course I do, when she is my age she will proabaly never eat a wild fish - it will all be farmed by then - and that will be her age. What she will fear for her grandchildren I don't want to think about.

PB

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lack of normal food causing the takes on feathers and the cod to come in close searching for food, may not be a good sign.
you could be spot on there snag ,did anyone see the programe on seabirds which are declining at a stupid rate,they reckon its down to a combination of global warming and commercially fishing the old sandeel,this is leaving no food for the birds ,some of which are resorting to eating other birds instead of there fish diets,if the birds are struggling for food the fish are going to be in the same boat eh,
:schmoll:

G

·
0 Posts
Eug,
Industrial fishing for sandeels and the like is absolute madness IMHO.
How can anyone justify removing 10 tons of fish from the sea to produce about 1/2 ton of bacon; or what ever the exact ratio is....
Regardless it is crazy and should be stopped - permenantly!!
Removing all the small fish, which are at the bottom of the food chain is like undermining the foundations of a house. Go too far and the whole lot will fall down ontop of ya.

SS
:clap3::clap3::clap3:

Bird populations will fall round the British Isles as the commercial discard rate drops.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Eug,
Industrial fishing for sandeels and the like is absolute madness IMHO.
How can anyone justify removing 10 tons of fish from the sea to produce about 1/2 ton of bacon; or what ever the exact ratio is....
Regardless it is crazy and should be stopped - permenantly!!
Does that really go on? I'm speechless! Anything we can do to stop it?

G

·
0 Posts
http://www.wildlifenews.co.uk/article/december181999f.htm

Unfortunatly - yes it does.
There are strict quatas in place although the danish are currently pressing for an increase. Their piggies must be hungry.

SS
Clever folks those Danes, they gave up a large percentage of their quotas as they used to be 1,000,000T, they have never fished it all in a year so they always horse trade about without effecting their actual total catch. 2004 quota 840,000T actual catch 300,000T. So they ask for an increase knowing they cant catch it then horse trade it by saying we will give it up if you give us a bigger quota for plaice/sole/ or whatever.
Playing the CFP game better than anyone.

·
Registered
370 Posts
http://www.wildlifenews.co.uk/article/december181999f.htm

Unfortunatly - yes it does.
There are strict quatas in place although the danish are currently pressing for an increase. Their piggies must be hungry.

SS
apparantly it aint just commercial fishing thats destroying the sandeel stocks,as the sea temps rise the plankton is changing so the food the eels feed on is vanishing,because the sandeels are localised fish they do not follow the food and then starve,it is the combination of the two thats doing the damage apparantly!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Good thread, this.

I think you're idea's a good one Snag — I'm not qualified to know whether you're right or wrong but it makes sense — but (and I'm here to be shot down on this) if this is a change that happened over one season it's virtually overnight in ecological terms, isn't it? As though all the food species had been fished out just last year?

One thing very different between this year, so far, and last, has been the sea itself. This last winter, minimum sea temps were a good 3 or 4º higher than 05/06.
Also, in the past few months we've had massive shifts of sand around our shores — whole beaches disappearing etc (see any number of recent threads) — so there have been some huge tidal changes in the past 12 months, and who knows how far 'out to sea' this goes?

Oversimplifying a bit ... but maybe the fish are just a little off course (?)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I may well be wrong but, I don't think it can be a lack of food, because shore fishing has seemed pretty good so far this year! Bass are around in good numbers, much better than the last couple of years.

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
I'll throw another idea into the ring. Maybe, fish stocks have risen and what is being seen is the fish spreading into areas where previously their numbers had been severely depleted?

G

·
0 Posts
I'll throw another idea into the ring. Maybe, fish stocks have risen and what is being seen is the fish spreading into areas where previously their numbers had been severely depleted?
:g::g::g:Doubt it, there is evidence to show that fish species do not move back into areas where they were once "plentiful" rather their place is taken by smaller species that are quicker to apapt to the changes. Like the idea of the changing sands, different topography in the area bringing the fish in though.

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
:g::g::g:Doubt it, there is evidence to show that fish species do not move back into areas where they were once "plentiful" rather their place is taken by smaller species that are quicker to apapt to the changes. Like the idea of the changing sands, different topography in the area bringing the fish in though.
Logic says to me, if there are too many fish in one area they have to expand into other areas or starve. Now if they are coming into an area with a lot of fry and smaller species wouldn't it make sense that they are now being caught on feathers?

G

·
0 Posts
Logic says to me, if there are too many fish in one area they have to expand into other areas or starve. Now if they are coming into an area with a lot of fry and smaller species wouldn't it make sense that they are now being caught on feathers?
Since when has logic been applied to fishing or angling?

·
Registered
370 Posts
well the guys that have been doing these seabird studies ,and these by the way are huge scientific studies which cover the whole of britain are saying there is deffo a lack of food fish and what eel are there are starving,if there isnt the wild food there then the predators arent going to have a chance to be fussy,this has been going on for a few years now mind ,i have caught codling in june and mackeral in january,there seems to be more and more varieties of bream etc being caught every year,wot next:g:

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
well the guys that have been doing these seabird studies ,and these by the way are huge scientific studies which cover the whole of britain are saying there is deffo a lack of food fish and what eel are there are starving,if there isnt the wild food there then the predators arent going to have a chance to be fussy,this has been going on for a few years now mind ,i have caught codling in june and mackeral in january,there seems to be more and more varieties of bream etc being caught every year,wot next:g:
Great White off Looe?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts