World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
weather looked doable yesterday so decided to give it a go somewhere off the coast. lovely start to the day, steaming towards the sea it was calm and still with a nice sunrise to boot.

once out it was clear that both XC and met office had got it wrong again....:uhuh: forecast was for 6 - 7mph s.east. so with the ebbing tide should be fine. by the time we got to the towers, 8 MILES offshore the wind was at least 12mph and n. east. so wind over tide made it quite uncomfortable with only a small tide we were being held beam on for the next 4 hours..'Rock n Roll'
Fishing was fast and furious, hardly having time to put the rods down but they were all dogs and pins, 'kin nightmare ! half way through the tide walt hit into something better, a good scrap and a nice cod of approx 5lb netted. within minutes he was in again with another codling only smaller. after a quite spell i had a lovely bang bang on one of my rods, then nothing, decided to check my bait and a good weight on the line but no action, roker i thought ?. no, it ended up being a lovely edible which managed to make it as far as the net.

i can feel the heat coming on

By 13.00 the tide had gone, and so had the wind and was quite pleasent walt then had a reall good pull down that didnt come back up, hitting into it it went off like a train, this could be only one thing, but its mid October !. and yes a nice starry of around 8lb. no sooner had he baited up and cast he was in again, another hound. slightly bigger..he was on fire today.
we all re-baited with fresh squid and i soon into another hound, a common

i then had another screaming bite which i thought was another hound but turned out to be a very lively angry cod approx 5lb.
stayed for an hour of the flood but hardly a bite, even the dogs and whiting had fell asleep. so up with the hook and made our way back to levington on a nice calm sea, skinning and filleting. great day, nice to be out again with some good company and banter, roll on when the cod get here in numbers

·
Registered
260 Posts
well done, sounds like the cod arrive on saturday as reports from the ledge and future north suggest cod to 11lb are about. i did not go as too much possible east in the forecast for Felixstowe bar. hoping to go this weekend and wet my new landing net. thanks for the report.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice little report Marv, thought you'd given up the boat fishing with all your beach reports.

Had a go myself last Sat, similar area to you, had a couple of thornies about 7lb and 4lb loads of dogs and tings .. but no cod.

Looks good for Sunday/Monday nice tide and westerly winds so fingers crossed.

Cheers

Colin

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
well done marv sounds a reasonable day you had mate, me and dad was out but not as good as yours but dad did get a 12lb spurdog but only one mutant cod of 3lb though

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies...no Colin, won't give up boat fishing till i can't get aboard anymore. we did not see one roker which we thought we would on that mark, but happy with what we did get. hopefully Ian will get his boat back in the water soon so we can start hitting the fish big time.
didn't hear you on the radio Dick, spoke to sally b and harvest moon, they were close in but struggled by all accounts. funny how that second tide of the day is not producing again.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good report Marv. Nice to see some early cod showing. Maybe this is the year ....

I'd heard from the marina that the smoothies were still around - what a crazy summer !!

Weather fingers crossed for Monday and you'll find me at the Towers.

Tight lines

Chris

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
arrr i did hear mary ellen if that was what you was on and alan on harvest moon, well we were billy no mates up there so no one to talk to lol

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes mate, that was us, think alan spent a few hours in the harbour cause of the wind and came out later, not sure how he ended up

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well done, however, i was feeling seasick just reading, i'm afraid i wouldn't be getting much fishing done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts