World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to Gambia on Friday, could anyone recomend some plugs and jigs worth taking.
I know it's the rainy season at the moment so plugging may not be best suited for this time of year but gonna give it a go anyway :crazy:

When I tried last November I failed miserably, but maybe my choice of plugs were no good, any help would be great.

ATB

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi,
Get some casting Jigs (50gr to 80gr) for windy conditions. They work well with Barracudas (sunset-down) also if you are lucky to see the Jacks you need to cast as far you can. I will take the usuals poppers, minnows etc but metal it is what worked to me last year in Gambia (November).

Cheers
Axi

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
Get some casting Jigs (50gr to 80gr) for windy conditions. They work well with Barracudas (sunset-down) also if you are lucky to see the Jacks you need to cast as far you can. I will take the usuals poppers, minnows etc but metal it is what worked to me last year in Gambia (November).

Cheers
Axi
Cheers Axi, I remember your post now :bangin:,
I think we were both there around the same time.

ATB

Tom

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Tom,
I ´ll suggest get early in to the beach when still dark (prepare tackle the night before). Keep walking after a few cast but concentrate your cast near river and rocks with a high tide.
If you walk to the left from Palm Beach in the corner you will find a small reef and from that position you can see both beach conditions and normally you will find one side calm and slight more rough the other side. I will choose rough first but check for birds and jacks activity. When stating the low tide in this corner approach to the first rocks and from there cast to the all area of the second line of rocks. Use a light spinning rod in this occasion as you will have a lot of fun with the Groupers :fishing: use Poppers, dexter wedge, minnows they will take all.
On the high tide choose a stronger spinning rod and cast from both sides of the reef but the right side it will be more productive. Be prepare to loose plenty of tackle so bring spares of jigs. Use a high rate spinning reel that will help you to move them quick and loose less tackle close to the rocks but don´t worry to much in the beach area as I will always prefer wait until the lure reach the bottom start a bit slow with small stops and then constant fast retrieve until the end.
Barracudas will normally attack Poppers and Jigs in a really fast retrieve so don´t use the stops and go as they will loose interest.

I can only wish you the best luck mate!

Cheers
Axi

·
Registered
789 Posts
Get yourself down to batakunko rocks at the start of the incoming tide and be prepared to scramble across the rocks and get wet.

Poppers should be 12cm skitterpop sized or big walk the dogs . Large toby with changed trebles work well.

My best afternoon was 3 small tarpon { up to 40lb ] and 3 or 4 jacks and a snapper , but you must be prepared to get grazed knees.

Richard

1 - 7 of 7 Posts