World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I am looking to go fishing Thursday evening,
My target is to fingers crossed catch thornback ray, i have pre tied my rigs of which are pulley rigs with a single size 3/0 Aberdeen hook. My trouble is I can not decide weather to offset the hooks using pliers or not. I understand that offset hooks have a good chance of hooking the fish as they rotate whilst you strike but also I have heard that they can sometimes cause problems by spinning and twisting around when making their way down through the water. Does anybody here fish for thornback and can help me decide what to do? Does it make that much of an impact in the fishing by offsetting your hook? Many thanks, Ray

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I catch a lot of rays! Doubt it will make much difference bending the hook.
I normally use a pennel setup with a 4/0 mustad viking on the bottom and a 2/0-3/0 octopus type hook on the top. The top hook will hook most of the time. This is for a squid type bait which I normally use.
Cheers si.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I catch a lot of rays! Doubt it will make much difference bending the hook.
I normally use a pennel setup with a 4/0 mustad viking on the bottom and a 2/0-3/0 octopus type hook on the top. The top hook will hook most of the time. This is for a squid type bait which I normally use.
Cheers si.
Ok perfect thank you :) I am going to adapt my rigs I think and add another hook to the top!

·
Registered
14,406 Posts
And don't strike a ray bite, just wait for it to move off with the bait. This can take several minutes...

·
Registered
21,787 Posts
I always use a pennel set up with the bottom hook virtually buried in the bait and the top hook, usually a turned in or half circle completely free of bait. It I will be this hook they will be caught on

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the good advice, taken note of all the points you have made and I will adapt my rigs accordingly :) maybe even try a couple different rigs! Thank you also for the advice about not striking, really helpful as I would have struck else :)

·
Premium Member
8,231 Posts
Hi Ray, Good advice there, but off set hooks will make a difference as well, it's only by a couple of degrees you need to bend your hook point, and it's well worth the simple effort and it will catch you more fish, A simple experiment is to tie your normal hook on a snood place it in an open book and close it, then pull the hook through the book, it will not snag the pages, put an off set hook in and do the same it will snag and rip the pages.

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
I love to offset my hooks. It gives me confidence. I don't know if it hooks me any more fish but I like to think it does. The other thing that gives me confidence is a tip from Becky Lee to use a small circle as the penal hook, I use Mustad Demon Circle fine in size 2 usually. It is more a bait holder than a kennel but since I have been doing it, most of the decent fish I have caught have missed the main hook and had that small circle hooked nicely in the jaw scissors. It is a set up I believe in and confidence is everything in fishing, I still don't catch as many fish as Becky lee but I want the best possible chance of landing the ons I do catch.

For maximum confidence I would like Becky Lee to set up the rod reel, trace and bait then cast it out and then go to sleep so I can reel the fish in. Hasn't happened yet but here is hoping!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts