World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm new to this sea fishing lark and this web site, only caught 2 mackerel so far hence the name.

On Sunday I want to go with the family to either Ogmore By Sea or Porthcawl because it's not too far from home. (Tewkesbury).

I'd be happy to catch mackerel, bass or dogfish.

The family who are going with me would like a nice sandy beach.

Where would you suggest I go, what can I catch there and where can I get some bait on a Sunday from ?

Any help greatly appriciated.

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Welcome to the site. Can't help with info on Porthcawl and tackle shop but plenty of people here can. Gonna be a hot one on Sunday. Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
thing is,,,you will be at these beaches in the day,,which will be low tide..

So i would suggest that you fish porthcawl pier,,whilst the missus and kids go on the beach in front of the fair ground..

but to be honest ,,most places are fishing quite quiet at the mo..the weather is getting nice for the weekend,,might bring the mackeral in again..

Ogmore is only a few miles away,,if you decide to fish the night tide...there are some nice rock marks off the main ogmore beach carpark,,

Best place is the shingle beach to the left of the lifeguard house..produces some good specimens when it wants too..

Hope this is of some help..

and welcome to the WSF site

Marcus

·
Registered
76 Posts
hi there ogmore is good for bass and the family fish to the left of the river opening a few mates of mine have been catching some decent bass down there. good luck.enjoy :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
marcus said:
So i would suggest that you fish porthcawl pier,,whilst the missus and kids go on the beach in front of the fair ground..
Marcus
Thanks for that Marcus,
I think I'll leave the choice between the pier and Ogmore beach, which Russkyz also suggested, to the wife when she comes back from shopping, or maybe we'll just drive there and make an on the spot decision.

What sort of fish can you catch around that area, I guess it's pretty much the same at both locations.

Also would the best bait to use be ragworms ? and if so do you know where I could buy some on a Sunday ?

One last thing, if we do go for the pier, can I just turn up and fish it or do I need to buy a permit somewhere ?

·
Wales Team Captain
2,361 Posts
Hi Ewenny angling in bridgend is open on a sunday morning 9am to 12 noon it is on the main road into bridgend from ogmore by sea and as youll be coming down the m4 if you take the pencoed junction follow the signs for bridgend,go straight on at the 1st two roundabouts and take the 3rd left at the next roundabout.go straight on past tesco,s and the police headquaters, under the bridge past the collage and down to the set of main traffic lights.turn left at these and it is about 30yds up on your left also this then leaves you on the right road for ogmore by sea and facing in the right direction :cool:
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Try ringing a few local tackle shops for bait, you should be able to find the numbers on this site, look at aberthaw under shore marks. If you can get it fresh peeler crab is deadly for most species this time of year. Failing that fish baits such as sandeel, squid and mackeral can also be effective.

Another option for you could be newton point, opposite end of the bay from the pier in front of trecco bay caravan park. Fish towards the right hand side of the point at low water, fairly good chance of bass there, but beware it is rough ground, your gonna loose some leads!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
darrengodzilla said:
Another option for you could be newton point, opposite end of the bay from the pier in front of trecco bay caravan park. Fish towards the right hand side of the point at low water, fairly good chance of bass there, but beware it is rough ground, your gonna loose some leads!
Thanks for that, I take it you mean the right hand side when facing the sea. I just looked on an ordinance survey map and there seems to be a small ridge of rocks just offshore of the main rocks. Should I fish in the channel between them or avoid them and fish to the right of them ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts