World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first report guys so I hope its OK.

Fished the deeps on Friday night (6pm-12pm I think high tide was around 9.30) with a mate. It was first time down there, but it wont be my last.

We started off with 2 rods each with a 2-hook flapper one one and a pulley on the other.

At first we were getting loads of bites and I ended up catching 3 doggies and 4 small whiting.

All fish returned safely apart from a couple of whiting that were used as live baits for conger.

My mate caught a one dogfish, one whiting and a conger (7lb - 10lb, didnt weight it but do have a photo so you guys can judge the weight for yourselves)

The night ended with a some excitement and then dissapointment.

At around 11.30pm my mate still had one rod out with a livebait on. While I was rebaiting one of my rods (and my mate was up on the rocks behind me) I heard a noise comin from the rods. When I went over to see what it was, his conger rod was horizontal in the tripod (with his reel jammed in the rodrest) and as I went to grab it the rod had another big pull and both of his rods and the tripod went flying off onto a ledge lower down.
So I jumped down and grabed it and shouted for my mate. Eventually he came over and took the rod off me (personally I have never felt anything pull so hard, the rod was practically bent in half and even the handle was bending a bit) After about 5 minutes of having this fish pull line off his reel it got off :sad:

When he pulled in his line the fish had bitten through his 70lb wire trace!!! :g:

Unfortunately we never got to see the fish so I cant say how big it was. Soon after that we decided to go home but we will be back...................with stronger traces and bigger hooks!!!!!!!!!!!:punk:

·
Registered
585 Posts
nice sess lads good report shame on what ever it was that got away a very big conger i expect it will be waiting for a re match

·
Registered
97 Posts
:clap3: great report, sounds like you had a busy sess. with one thing and another,sounds like you hooked into a tug boat :blink: either that or you were unlucky not catching a big son of a bitch, good luck with your fishing:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
is it possible you hooked a seal? they could bite through wire and even on skate gear you'd have a hell of a job stopping one!

·
Registered
Century Kompressor Super Sports, Penn Mags, Sloshes
3,584 Posts
good report there m8 - nice session.....
unlucky on losing the big ' un...... most probably a nice conger...... or could of well been a seal..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts