World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody out there know how ogmore estuary is fishing and if so what tactics suit venue best and is one spot more productive than another in your views.Am thinking of having a go saturday evening Any Info very much appreciated

·
Registered
472 Posts
It has been poor of late bait fishing with the beach casters anyway.
last time we went about 2weeks ago we used mackerel and crab and blanked.

Not sure what it is fishing like on fly or lure.

I may change tactics and fish it up on the bend with a float and some rag soon and see what results that brings.

·
Registered
472 Posts
In fact that’s been confirmed with my fishing buddy.

Will be fishing Newton tomorrow at low tide, then walking over to the estuary to fish as the tide rises.
Will give it a go on the float with some rag as some people have recommended.
I'm also going to chuck a handline out and fish a spinner.

Will let you know how we get on.
Though I'm not expecting much joy at Newton after knighty's reports
Still it’s worth a go.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Fished the estuary from low tide up starting by the white house using rag found at the site and floats, still nothing :(

Moved to the estuary mouth but the weed down there was so bad that fishing was really difficult to say the least, no bites yet again but judging by the amount of weed on the baits when they were reeled in it was no wonder.

The way the estuary has been fishing of late I wouldn’t bother

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi
Try going by the (like a slipway.car park, looking at the river, to the far right) and casting up the river with either a fly or a small spinner about 1.5-2hrs after high water. If you can imagine it, the fry,smallfish, go up the river early on for safety.but they have to come back into the sea before low water, (think like a fish) this is where the bass and other preditors will be waiting for them to return.

give me a shout on how u get on .
I am sure you should do well.
PS: makes a change from collecting weed when bottom fishing.

If at first u don't succeed try try again. if u tried and still don't succeed phone your missis 2 pick u up and go up the pelican 4 a brew.
PBear

·
Registered
472 Posts
Will give it a go on spinner, haven’t got anything else to try bar fly fishing
Cheers for the tip.

Or maybe a gill net ;)

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
i blanked at the same spot a week or so back but my mate took a 3lb bass on last couple of casts.. jammy git nice looking fish too. he goes to the same spot often and takes a few fish.

:D

·
Registered
779 Posts
Can you put a tent up over night on the banks below the water works for night fishing?

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
have seen tents and camper vans but not sure if they are allowed

·
Registered
779 Posts
If high tide is at 20.46 what is the best time to get there?

·
Registered
472 Posts
ninjadai said:
Can you put a tent up over night on the banks below the water works for night fishing?
Short answer no.
When we were down there last we did notice a large sign on the Ogmore side of the river stating that there were to be no fires or camping. :(

You can camp closer to the estuary mouth but at low tide its pretty pointless fishing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Robski said:
i blanked at the same spot a week or so back but my mate took a 3lb bass on last couple of casts.. jammy git nice looking fish too. he goes to the same spot often and takes a few fish.

:D
What did he take the fish on ??

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
hi peeps me and pop noodle fished there on thursday and wednesday nite from about 5 30 until 11 we fished the little pool just past the sewage bridge in the ogmore club water we used mudworm i had one bass of about 2 nd half pounds gladly returned it we also had lots of small flatties blokes there fishing next to us had 7 good flatfish between them all in the region of 1 nd 2 pound didnt kno the flatties go up there but u learn summit new everyday ay
sal

·
Registered
472 Posts
salmon said:
hi peeps me and pop noodle fished there on thursday and wednesday nite from about 5 30 until 11 we fished the little pool just past the sewage bridge in the ogmore club water we used mudworm i had one bass of about 2 nd half pounds gladly returned it we also had lots of small flatties blokes there fishing next to us had 7 good flatfish between them all in the region of 1 nd 2 pound didnt kno the flatties go up there but u learn summit new everyday ay
sal
I think it is now safe to presume that it is me fishing this river wrongly rather than the venue itself :(

mudworm are the little worms in the silt on the river bank I presume :confused:

I had a tip to go by the little island up from the white house, just below the sewage bridge. And fish using worms from the river with a float on the ogmore side??
This I was informed would land me flatties and bass.
Was I just unlucky or should I be using other tactics maybe a different spot (not on club waters)
any tips greatly appreciated. ;)

Should I contemplate going back to a very basic river rig of just a ball weight and a hook. I used to use this rig on the Teifi quite successfully what rigs are you using ?
Help I need tips to fish this river properly.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
blanked on the river mouth last night..... friend took us down mumbling somthing about tides etc.... i thought you fished low to advancing tide?= little fish comming in? when we got there the tide was still on the out.few bites much nothing.have always fished to right of the mouth on out going tide for rays etc. still was worth the trip just to see how someone else fishes it.:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts