World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right then! Finally got her out the water at the weekend, which was no mean feat, and had a look at what she's swinging down below, 22" 3 blader, 2" shaft fed from the 1.5:1 box, 120hp lump rated to 2700rpm

but all that probably goes out the window, and I think, with the best will in the world, accurate prop calculation is a non starter.

plenty of room for something much bigger anyway down there and 22" looked weeny

problem is this. big cutout for the prop which is great, but... (ain't there always a but!) immediately aft of the prop is a deadwood of sorts, between the keel and the outrigger for the sternpost, the rudder is hung out side the back of the hull (its a zulu/fifie after all)

the deadwood is huge, starting to think its very not original, its about 6" wide for starters, so having a huge steel pillar 6" wide immediately behind the prop is probably deflecting a massive amount of thrust side ways. It doesn't help steering much either, as the rudder is in the slipstream of this thing till its 15 to 20 degrees over

so I reckon some experimentation is in order to see what happens with different props

soooo.... if anyone has/sees/knows where there might be some big huge props that can be begged borrowed or bought.... want to try something 28" on a 2" shaft first, 3 or maybe even 4 blader.....

will try sort a pic to explain the above ramblings better!

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you speak with Paul Williams? www.clementsmarine.co.uk
yup had a long chat with him a couple of months back, he's on my list to call in the next few days now we know exactly what going on down below, cracking chap, thanks for the contact in the first place, what a helpful and thoroughly nice chap

hoping to do some borrowing and experimenting before shelling out lots on a big new bronzey!

it is an odd set up to be sure, I suspect the offending lump/deadwood might get removed as well to see what happens. fifies and zulus were never fitted with one, and unless there's something major amiss that we, a surveyor and a wooden boat builder haven't spotted, it might not be needed. They way the stern post outrigged was scarfed in, it should need no support over the prop cut out

ran through various prop calc programmes and they all say we are nigh on correctly propped (now I know what she's swinging), but down hugely on speed and up on fuel consumption, so maybe getting rid of the obstruction might improve things

1 - 3 of 3 Posts