World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all one of the boats in work has a fair bit of oil in the header tank.There is a engineer coming out at the end of the week. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever come across this and possible cause.The engine is a scania di16 43m.
Thank you Richard

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
We had the same on our Fords, chased it for weeks, oil coolers, head off head on, head off pressure test, skimmed, head on ,still the same. In the end we put it down to a crack in the block were the oil and water galleries are close together. We reckoned that when the engine came up to temp the crack opened and the oil being under greater pressure was forced into the cooling water which then circulated and ended up at the "high" point i.e the header tank, it got so bad that it clogged the stack and we started to over heat making the situation worse. After about three hours running we had to remove the stack and steam clean it, it would then be ok for another three hours or so. When running the engine was good except for this ongoing fault, so in a last ditch solution we bought some Steel Seal, a fluid that is mixed with 50/50 Blue anti freeze, then the engine is brought up to temp and allowed to cool, this operation is repeated three/four times, in the assumption that the fluid will find the crack and eventually seal it, for us it worked, we now run cool as a cucumber no overheating at all. There are still traces of oil in the header tank, and the level needs checking every trip but up to now (two years) it is still holding up. Good luck with yours hope its just the oil cooler, failing that the head gasket/warped head, but in the last resort try Steel Seal.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hi all one of the boats in work has a fair bit of oil in the header tank.There is a engineer coming out at the end of the week. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever come across this and possible cause.The engine is a scania di16 43m.
Thank you Richard
Richard,
things are pointing to the cooler or head gasket, or a scenario as aquabell experienced

is there any oil in the bilge and around the oil cooler area ?

How does engine run?

when running are any cylinders missing ?

Is there any excessive exhaust smoke? what colour is it

On the expansion tank is there any bubbles in coolant when running ?
in the expanaion bottle is the level high or the bottle swollen ?

Is there any coolant in the oil, drain the sump at the plug and see if any water is lying in the bottom, the oil will be floating on it.

all easy checks before you start ripping the engine apart

Paul

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Richard,
things are pointing to the cooler or head gasket, or a scenario as aquabell experienced

is there any oil in the bilge and around the oil cooler area ?

How does engine run?

when running are any cylinders missing ?

Is there any excessive exhaust smoke? what colour is it

On the expansion tank is there any bubbles in coolant when running ?
in the expanaion bottle is the level high or the bottle swollen ?

Thank you all for your replies. It is not the boat I'm working on at the moment. The reason for me asking is the skipper is blaming the previous crew. He thinks someone has put oil in there. Having worked with the previous crew this is total rubbish.Hopefully when I go down today I can use your suggestions so when the engineer turns up he will have to apologise to all the crew he has blamed.
Ps he seems to think it is impossible for oil to get in there any other way.
Thanks for all you're help will keep you updated
Cheers Richard

1 - 6 of 6 Posts