World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Stand back and wait for all sorts of complicated and labour intensive ways to upkeep your reel.

Perhaps I am lazy, but all my mulitpliers are only 'tinkered' with on an 'as needed basis' which is perhaps about once every 3 months (and I fish at least twice a week).

Until recently I simply used to apply a couple of drops of motor oil (I forget the viscocity of it now) to the bearings which are housed either end of the spool. However, I recently tried some 'red rocket fuel', and was pleasantly suprised that it seemed to justify the far higher cost.

As I said, I apply the 'if its not broke, don't fix it approach', but no doubt others will swear that such expensive and highly tuned precision engineered reels deserve more regular treatment.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
cheers manx! just had a bit of grinding when i tightend my brake (prob sand) so gave it a swill! jus wanna keep it in good nick as its a lovely lil reel! and i 2 belive in that saying!!! esp with my car!!!!! aaarrr long long story!!!

·
Registered
568 Posts
Forgot to mention that all my reels always get a gentle rinse in fresh water after each trip - that's kinda important ;)

I'm still interested to hear what others have to say on this subject - there's a very good chance I might learn something :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi manx/fishy, i use a ct mag elite/slosh 30 and like manx advises the first thing i do after a trip is swill the reel under running water. i might go over the top but i always wrap my reels in a rag when carrying ... stops the scrapes/knocks ... only fishing once a week i do soak the bearings in fuel then re-oil every 3 months minimum. what do you advise for greasing inside and outer screws?? cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts