World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi, i am a new member from the west coast of Norway.
I am planning to start surfcasting, and have bought this;
- Reel, Okuma Epix Baitfeeder 65
- Rod, Ron Thompson Rocketeer pro

I am waiting for the rod, so i can&#39;t yet start fishing.

Does anyone have any experience with the rod or reel?

Thanks for your time&#33;&#33;</font>

·
Registered
557 Posts
<font color='#810541'>Hi&#33;
I fish with fixed spool reels only. I have checked your reel specifications. It looks slightly on the light side for sea fishing.
Most probably is sutable for bassing and lure fishing or lighter legering?
I have bought two new reels only two weeks ago, so I had researched the market for all the new models.
My opinion is that for approximately the same amount of money you would be better off with Daiwa EMCAST 5500.
I think its the best on the market at the moment.</font>

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Hmm...ok. I don&#39;t know what kind of fish you are getting in the sea. But for me it is not fish over 15 kilos. I hope for flounder and that kind of fish, so i need the baitfeeder&#33;
In Norway, this is called "light" surfcasting, when we fish with lures in sea ( from shore ) we mostly use reels in 2500-4000 class.
Thanks for your view&#33;&#33;</font>

·
Registered
754 Posts
<font color='#000000'>the problem isnt so much the size of fish you expect to catch , but the local conditions. If you have a fast tide race you will need to use heavy weights , therefore heavier tackle. In the river mersey on a big tide a 8oz lead will almost float when the tide is running so heavy tackle is required - spoils the fishing though as you cant feel you have a fish on&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts