World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any1 use one? what are they like? heard good things about them but would never stop using my Penn 525s

Cheers........

·
Registered
876 Posts
yeah the way they have set them up and the oil , first of all the reel is faster than the penn icant quite put my finger on it but there seems to be a secret to taming this reel and you will certainly go through a couple of spools of line trying to get comfortable,secondly the oil they give you is far far far too thin its like sewing machine oil absolutley no use to a "FISHING "reel i stripped mine down after the first use cleaned it and put 3 in 1 oil on it ,it has helped a bit but you still have to be carefull {there set up different to the prototypes}:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
The oil you get with the Magnetix is like the oil you get with most reels, it is for reel mantainance, and should not be used in the bearings, there you should use an oil that is meant for reel-bearings, like rocketfuel, or some other suitable ticker oil.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The oil you get with the Magnetix is like the oil you get with most reels, it is for reel mantainance, and should not be used in the bearings, there you should use an oil that is meant for reel-bearings, like rocketfuel, or some other suitable ticker oil.
no!! its thin like water, NOT like most others !!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
my okuma 30 locked up twice after casting, wouldnt free spool after the cast,

never flicked lever back after cast and it still reeled in,

twice it done this, and i had the 30,

enough for me, i took it back and got another slosh x, less hassle,no lockups, no mag brakes,

ive quite a collection of slosh x,s now, im addicted to their first class performance, and reliability,

·
Registered
876 Posts
i`ll need to try one when im back on my feet ave had a shot of the old slosh but it had a 7ht handle and it was bucked and we`ll see about getting one if i like it {doubt it} there you go hui am gonnae gi it a try

·
Registered
208 Posts
yeah the way they have set them up and the oil , first of all the reel is faster than the penn icant quite put my finger on it but there seems to be a secret to taming this reel and you will certainly go through a couple of spools of line trying to get comfortable,secondly the oil they give you is far far far too thin its like sewing machine oil absolutley no use to a "FISHING "reel i stripped mine down after the first use cleaned it and put 3 in 1 oil on it ,it has helped a bit but you still have to be carefull {there set up different to the prototypes}:)
My prototype is the same reel you got in the UK, it is a Magnetix MG20-C. When I first got it and mounted it on my rod, I set the adjuster to the top (most) and then worked backwards until I felt comfortable...just like what you would do with a Penn 525 mag. About oil, I have used the stock oil, but I am using a synthetic oil made for 2 stroke engines (add to petrol) just to try out. If I had my way, I would have removable sheilds on the bearings. One other thing, take the left side plate off, and see how the mag control works, move it back and forth. How many red dots do you see on the magnets (5)?

The reason why this reel is a prototype in the US...it has not been marketed here yet. .....nomadfl

T

·
0 Posts
Hi all, have used my magnetix only once so far, very smooth reel, started with red rocket fuel in them, seemed ok, bit noisy, so cleaned and added the red oil which came with my 7 HT turbo, feels a lot smoother, I'll find out if it is quieter next time i use it, not that it's excessive noise, probably the way i have put the line on.
didn't affect the casting, which is quite impressive.
I do like the balance and feel of these reels over pretty much all my others, they also look the part which just adds confidence, line capacity i feel is on a par with a 6500. I think these reels have a bright future, providing they keep them at a sensible price and not hike the price up extortionately.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
dont understand all this tripe,

you should be able to use any reel right from the box,
if you take it too bits and change oils arent you breaking the rules as to any

so called warranty,

·
Registered
465 Posts
i bought a magnetix and i think they are very good for the money, they run very well and are smooth but you would have to go down to 0.33mm line to get plenty of line on it at the moment i have 20lb at 0.40 and its no were near enough but its a nice reel all the same.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The magnetix 20 has a heavy spool for the size of the reel body, its weight is probably twice that of an Abu 6500 spool, it might look a small spool when fitted in the reel, but it’s not symmetrical, one side is far heavier than the other ( the magnetic side is larger)

·
Registered
208 Posts
:thumbs:
i bought a magnetix and i think they are very good for the money, they run very well and are smooth but you would have to go down to 0.33mm line to get plenty of line on it at the moment i have 20lb at 0.40 and its no were near enough but its a nice reel all the same.
When Okuma USA sent me the one to try out, it had mono topshot and 150 yds of braid. I removed their mono and added Sufix Titanium Plus Orange .40mm (17lb) probably close to 125 yds. I've changed the topshot once since I have being using it...that way, you don't have to fill it with mono. I have plenty of line on the reel to almost handle almost any fish in the Gulf of Mexico.

Remember braid can last a lifetime, you can even reverse it if the other end looks ragged. It can save you money over time.

·
Registered
706 Posts
:thumbs:

When Okuma USA sent me the one to try out, it had mono topshot and 150 yds of braid. I removed their mono and added Sufix Titanium Plus Orange .40mm (17lb) probably close to 125 yds. I've changed the topshot once since I have being using it...that way, you don't have to fill it with mono. I have plenty of line on the reel to almost handle almost any fish in the Gulf of Mexico.

Remember braid can last a lifetime, you can even reverse it if the other end looks ragged. It can save you money over time.
Just a shame the spool diameter is so small, makes the retrieve rate way slower than its competitors.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just a shame the spool diameter is so small, makes the retrieve rate way slower than its competitors.
Ruff Ground, the spool retrieve on the Convector with a 5.1/1 ratio is 23". The Magnetix MG20-C has 6.2/1 retrieve ....probably around 28". The inside spool diameter is 11.92mm. I have notes somewhere where I calipered up the spool. The inside spool width is narrower then the Convector CV20-C., and that reason is that the boat fishing people (California) had a say in it's design...they wanted a spool where they could thumb the side of the spool. I will post a picture of both reels side by side when I get a chance. They are basically the same reel with a few modifications to make the Magnetix......I hope this helps ??? ...nomadfl

·
Registered
706 Posts
Ruff Ground, the spool retrieve on the Convector with a 5.1/1 ratio is 23". The Magnetix MG20-C has 6.2/1 retrieve ....probably around 28". The inside spool diameter is 11.92mm. I have notes somewhere where I calipered up the spool. The inside spool width is narrower then the Convector CV20-C., and that reason is that the boat fishing people (California) had a say in it's design...they wanted a spool where they could thumb the side of the spool. I will post a picture of both reels side by side when I get a chance. They are basically the same reel with a few modifications to make the Magnetix......I hope this helps ??? ...nomadfl
The 525mag is listed as 28" per handle turn, although that depends on the same measurement technique being used (full spool?). I haven't taken any actual measurements but from a visual inspection I would say the external diameter at the spool lip on the magnetix is around 20% smaller than the 525 and about 30% less than the slosh. The slosh is listed as 35" per handle turn. The gear ratios of the three reels are virtually identical.

The slosh spool is of a similar width to the magnetix, therefore in terms of retrieve, a full magnetix is similar to fishing with a 30% depleted slosh. The 525mag spool is significantly wider than the magnetix, thus the line level will remain higher following a cast, and hence the effective retrieve rate will be greater.

The Okuma USA website lists the capacity of the Convector CV20-C at 290yards of 0.35mm, compared to 220yards for the magnetix. This is around 25% difference... the spool lips on the magnetix appear to account for less than 10% each side (total under 20%) of the total spool width within the frame, so even if the inner spool surface was made flush with the frame (removing the spool lips completely) the capacity would probably still be less than the convector. Therefore it would appear (assuming spool internal diameter is the same) that either the magnetix spool is of a smaller external diameter than the CV20-C, or that the internal dimensions of the frame are narrower (and hence the spool)?

There is also a big gap between the spool and the nearside cross member on the frame, with a much smaller gap the other side... almost as if they have located the spool incorrectly! Take a look at one compared to either the Penn or the Daiwa and you will see what I mean - there is a lot more 'wasted' space inside the magnetix frame - it could take a bigger diameter spool! Interestingly Okuma have made much better use of the space in the larger magnetix 30... so it shows that it can be done!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ruff Ground....most of what you said is right on, and most of it has been mentioned in my observations to Okuma USA. I can't go into detail on what has been submitted. The frame on the Convector CV20-C is the same size as the Magnetix MG20-C, and most of the parts are the same except for the spool, mag assembly, left side plate, and a few others. I only wish I had a small lathe...I would modify my (CV20-C spool) and add spool bearings, and a few other things. As I told you in a PM ...this is like a hobby. I will pass on your comments to Okuma USA ....nomadfl

Convector CV-20-C

Magnetix MG20-C

1 - 20 of 33 Posts