World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, has anyone had any experience of okuma fixed spool reels?? was thinking about the 365 pro. I dont go fishing too much but i am after something decent that wont fall to bits after a year or so.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Shimano aerlex, about 60 quid, best lower price f spool.

Diawa emcast is also good.

Any f spool under this sort of cash is not likely to last long, especially with big fish, cranking a fish up a pier wall or rough ground.

If you get in touch with veals they used to have a okuma reel which was a rough ground fioxed spool, it was tested on tarpon, I think it was called the offshore 80 or something.

Its probably sold under a different name now, ask for dave box.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will make a call, i know what ur saying on the cost quality issue, but i have been surprised a few times!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Don't know about Okuma fixed spools but in their multiplier range it looks like this:

The cheap ones are **** but the dearer ones can be quite good.

I have a couple of their Titus reels and I am very happy with them but a friend of mine has one that only cost a few quid less and it isn't worth half what he paid for it and I doubt it will land a double figure fish without the clutch giving up.

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a Okuma fixed spool and have had no problems with it so far and I fish both clean and rough ground.I cant remember which one I have.

nige

·
Registered
50 Posts
ya sure it will be late monday evening when I let you know what I have as I am working untill 8am-hate working nights over a bank holiday weekend-everyone is drinkin/fishing and me stuck at work,as they say thats life!!

nige

·
Registered
129 Posts
I use an Okuma Axeon, (think it's top of the range model), only been fishing with it for a few months, no probs, feels like a very solid reel, (and very smooth) I got it as part of a rod and reel deal so not sure of exact price. Seems to me it would handle almost anything. Hope this helps,
Penn

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys, i have been looking at those reels also, at the moment i am not near the sea ( as per my user name) but am back in the uk soon so will have a good look around the shops and see what i can narrow it down to.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
axeon i paid 69.99, aerlex i paid 50quid, axeon has a spare spool, aerlex doesnt, both quality reels thow, bluebeard mentioned emcast,ilike the lookofthat one also, but havent got 1 as yet. maybe when she,s not looking, mmmmmmmm?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After seeing a link on here for Nigels website AKA the reel doctor, I took the plunge and have arranged to buy a 6500 sports mag from him!

Cant wait till i get back to the UK and to give it a go on the beach ( empty of course!)

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my many recent posts and given advice- it is greatly appreciated.

ta rob.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Axeon for me to.

Great reel - easy to use - do you nicely off a beach. Could.t do much better in terms of fixed spool.

However, if you want to use it also for Spinning/light work/float fishing etc - it is a little on the heavy side ( would work - but no fun pulling in a small fish with it)

I also use an Okuma on my bass rod -Epix Rear drag - again a nice bit of kit - capable of handling 4 oz leads & nice and responsive.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
One of my reels is a Beachcaster Pro Edition 380 (Okuma) Two years old Casts 2-6 ozs no problems. No corrosion. Seems quite tough and good value. It was reviewed in Sea Angler along with a Ron Thompson beachcaster about two perhaps 3 years ago. The review impressed me so I bought both! No regrets!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Hi Swiss

Been using an Okuma Eklipz for spinning, nice reel, not had it long so not sure about reliability yet.

Fred

1 - 18 of 18 Posts