World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After taking the boat out of the water it really needs new antifowl(previous owner used to trailer her)
I don't know weather to take the lot off or just give it a under coat and then a fresh coat of antifowl..
I went at it with a scraper but found it hard to get any of it off

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
If the existing paint is sound then I'd just paint over it after giving it a really good clean and perhaps a light abrade with wet and dry (wear a mask and goggles though) - presumably you don't know what was used before so check the recommendations from the manufacturer of the new antifouling to see what primer or barrier coat, if any, they suggest.

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Check the areas close to where it's flaked off - a bit like loose plaster, it can actually be loose for quite an extensive area, and you end up with about twice as much exposed GRP, then I would rub the patches down well with wet and dry (taking the precautions mentioned earlier), making sure it's well feathered off where it goes from paint to bare GRP and making sure the bare GRP is very clean, then use the International primer (I forget the name of it now, but the International website is very comprehensive and it will be on there) on the exposed GRP, then coat the whole antifouled area with International antifoul again.

If you choose to use a different brand, then check what they say about priming bare GRP and overcoating antifoul other than their own.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Check the areas close to where it's flaked off - a bit like loose plaster, it can actually be loose for quite an extensive area, and you end up with about twice as much exposed GRP, then I would rub the patches down well with wet and dry (taking the precautions mentioned earlier), making sure it's well feathered off where it goes from paint to bare GRP and making sure the bare GRP is very clean, then use the International primer (I forget the name of it now, but the International website is very comprehensive and it will be on there) on the exposed GRP, then coat the whole antifouled area with International again.

If you choose to use a different brand, then check what they say about priming bare GRP and overcoating antifoul other than their own.
i think the primer you're thinking about is called primocon ? i'd agree with everything else youve said

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've made a start on the new antifouling today from the front of the boat back to the first set of rollers..
I had planned to push the boat back to get at the part that the rollers sit on
I need to push the boat back about 2 ft min on the rollers,but I'm worried that back of the boat might hit the ground and the hitch of the trailer will go up in the air..
Has anyone any experience of doing this..

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hi,looking at your pics it would seem you have 8 rollers on each beam which is quite a long travel to slide the boat. I would be inclined to undo the U bolts and drop the rollers then give it a couple of coats and put the rollers back up again,they are only for balance and shouldn`t be carrying much weight.If you roll the boat back and fore on them before the antifoul cures it will mark it.Regards Dave.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi,looking at your pics it would seem you have 8 rollers on each beam which is quite a long travel to slide the boat. I would be inclined to undo the U bolts and drop the rollers then give it a couple of coats and put the rollers back up again,they are only for balance and shouldn`t be carrying much weight.If you roll the boat back and fore on them before the antifoul cures it will mark it.Regards Dave.
Thanks for that,it's exactly what I did and worked great

·
Banned
8,292 Posts

Davy, i understand what you saying with rollers on each sides (beams)
I will be doing mine soon with nearly same set up on trailer.
I can drop rollers and bunk boards to paint where they meet hull.

What about the area where the keel rollers touch the keel, can you roll onto the new antifoul after it has gone off (how long timewise?)to finish where they were and then roll back in place.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Hi, I would roll it back a few inches first then drop the rollers and do the whole hull, when it is all dry winch it back again and do the small patches on the keel.I find cheap 4in sponge rollers work ok,keep going putting it on till you run out of paint(keeping a drop back for your patches)it may as well be on the hull as a half tin sat in the shed.Regards Dave.

·
Banned
8,292 Posts
Hi, I would roll it back a few inches first then drop the rollers and do the whole hull, when it is all dry winch it back again and do the small patches on the keel.I find cheap 4in sponge rollers work ok,keep going putting it on till you run out of paint(keeping a drop back for your patches)it may as well be on the hull as a half tin sat in the shed.Regards Dave.
Thanks for that Davy.
Sorry to cut across you thread Cluais, but i thought it may help all aswell as me in seeing how to do it all of hull.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ya thanks for advice I had to take it off today as the weather was a bit damp and temp was low so I said I would leave the antifouling till the weather gets good again..
Probably not the best time of year to do the antifouling

1 - 20 of 24 Posts