World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went down to Old Colwyn prom this afternoon for an hour over high and to have a cast with a 7ht mag that I had bought which was supposedly not running properly. I had serviced it so took it to see that it was working correctly and decided to stick on a macky rig. There were a load of others fishing down by the arches so I went by the hump where you turn to go on the A55 and was rewarded with 8 mackerel and the reel worked superbly.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Went down to Old Colwyn prom this afternoon for an hour over high and to have a cast with a 7ht mag that I had bought which was supposedly not running properly. I had serviced it so took it to see that it was working correctly and decided to stick on a macky rig. There were a load of others fishing down by the arches so I went by the hump where you turn to go on the A55 and was rewarded with 8 mackerel and the reel worked superbly.
Great to see you out fishing
and catching some mackys.
Well Done Bud.
Coastman

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went again tonight as my 8yr old daughter pestered me as she wanted to catch one. So I took a spinning rod and f/s reel for her and I cast the macky rig out and she reeled it in. Got soaked and she didn't catch any and when she got tired I had a few chucks and got 2 mackies and a guy next to me got one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Is it true the 7HT MAG is virtually un-birdseye-able (my mission is to invent a new word every day)???

Am interested in getting one but they're not the cheapest of reels and much of the fishing I do is at night when a multiplier isn't that easy in the hands of a novice such as myself!

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,623 Posts
Well done speedmaster...

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it true the 7HT MAG is virtually un-birdseye-able (my mission is to invent a new word every day)???

Am interested in getting one but they're not the cheapest of reels and much of the fishing I do is at night when a multiplier isn't that easy in the hands of a novice such as myself!
I found it very good at not birdieing and would have another one if I didn't have so many reels. Get one you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I found it very good at not birdieing and would have another one if I didn't have so many reels. Get one you won't be disappointed.
Thanks for that Speedmaster2, I'll begin work on getting clearance from she who must be obeyed - we must need a new carpet somewhere I can balance if off against!!!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi Speedmaster,

7HTs unmagged versions are really user freindly, keep the cast smooth, and build up towards the power stroke, you will enjoy them.

Secret of good casting,

1. Keep it smooth, no "I am gonna blast this outa sight"
2. Build up the power slowly
3. Put the power in when your lead arm is high in front of your eyes.
4. Then pull and punch.

The hardest thing I have found in 27 years a casting instructor is trying to slow people down, in order to put the power in when it is needed.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
6,688 Posts

How about...
This reel is fitted with the latest hi-tec design called the...
'Anti-Birdnesting Configartion Device'...!

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Speedmaster,

7HTs unmagged versions are really user freindly, keep the cast smooth, and build up towards the power stroke, you will enjoy them.

Secret of good casting,

1. Keep it smooth, no "I am gonna blast this outa sight"
2. Build up the power slowly
3. Put the power in when your lead arm is high in front of your eyes.
4. Then pull and punch.

The hardest thing I have found in 27 years a casting instructor is trying to slow people down, in order to put the power in when it is needed.

Regards

Dave
Hi Baldie,
I have used the 7ht reels in the past and agree with you about them being user friendly. I was replying to pdsidds' question about the 7ht mag though. I have used Abu and Shimano multipliers as well as Daiwa reels in the past and a few years back I used to go to tournament casting events near Wrexham and at Red Rocks on the wirral but I am unable to go now unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi Speedmaster,

Probably met you at Wrexham, around 15 - 17 years ago, I gave Phil Jennings the court for Wrexham, he has rung a few rods for me in the past.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Speedmaster,

Probably met you at Wrexham, around 15 - 17 years ago, I gave Phil Jennings the court for Wrexham, he has rung a few rods for me in the past.

Regards

Dave
Hi Dave, I may have met you as it was Phil who gave me casting lessons.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for that Speedmaster2, I'll begin work on getting clearance from she who must be obeyed - we must need a new carpet somewhere I can balance if off against!!!!

Have gone and bought one - she'll go mad when she finds out. Mwa ha ha....

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Do you not use the old... "It was on offer love"... defence like the rest of us?

As the old saying goes,,,all Fishermen hope their wife dies before them,,,,because if we die first,,,they`ll sell our tackle and find out how much it REALLY cost!!!!

My wife would dig me up again just to give me boollocking!!!!!:eek:

·
Banned
719 Posts
if buying a 7ht mag ... or turbo ...

remember to also buy a "spacer shaft sleeve"

available from "breakaway"

just a thought ..... :idea:

good report phil by the way ... :clap:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I put this report up to let other anglers know that there were some mackerel being caught at Old Colwyn. I didn't post it so that it would become a netting thread nor a monty python thread. Next time I go I won't put a report on here to let others know of what's being caught so that it too doesnt' become another netting thread, etc.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I put this report up to let other anglers know that there were some mackerel being caught at Old Colwyn. I didn't post it so that it would become a netting thread nor a monty python thread. Next time I go I won't put a report on here to let others know of what's being caught so that it too doesnt' become another netting thread, etc.
Things go off on a tangent on forums frequently - the original info you gave was well written and read by many! God knows how netting got onto this forum, I certainly don't! As for your advice on the 7HT Mag I've gone and bought one now so I hope it's as easy to use as you say!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts