World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have fished quite alot latley but carnt get my head around the skippers in swansea .They just sit it out and just dont listen to what the boys want to do just think some of the older skippers in swansea have got to take a leaf out of the younger lads book last few trips just think they are only there for the money.

·
Registered
37 Posts
good evening griz,i've had the same in the past. the first time go out you put it down to they're having a bad day, the second time then you think that you're last. and finish with a bad word or two. that's not good

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
I think you'll find it anywhere... All ports have they're good and bad skippers. Key is not to get too disheartend and keep trying different skippers until you find one that you get on with.

I tend to look for the fast boats, odds are, you find a fast boat, you find a skipper willing to move around looking for the fish. I used to fished a bit with wayne on the dominator, he was very keen on moving around in seach of the fish. Fished a few times lately with Rob on Lady Jue... fast boat, and he loves his fishing, if the fish arn't there he'll move because he isn't catching fish either.

Same can be said for Dave on Anchorman and Andy on white water... again, 2 quick boats, both have very happy customers.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I would also add Pete skipper on Unity, very fast boat, and he also loves his fishing.

Will always move if your not catching even over the other side!!

Top Bloke!!:thumbs:

·
Premium Member
39,115 Posts
There are good skippers with slower boats and lots of experience to go with it. A slow Swanea boat will not put you on the shark grounds so you use a fast boat and pay the price. I think with the fuel cost soaring a number of fast boats will be reconsidering their position because cost will push the prices out of reach for a lot of people. I come from a day and age where fast boats did not exist when I started boat fishing and it was down to a skipper knowing his ground and putting you on the fish as tides and conditions allowed. Believe me we had some cracking days but there were also the slower ones, have to take the rough with the smooth.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are good skippers with slower boats and lots of experience to go with it. A slow Swanea boat will not put you on the shark grounds so you use a fast boat and pay the price. I think with the fuel cost soaring a number of fast boats will be reconsidering their position because cost will push the prices out of reach for a lot of people. I come from a day and age where fast boats did not exist when I started boat fishing and it was down to a skipper knowing his ground and putting you on the fish as tides and conditions allowed. Believe me we had some cracking days but there were also the slower ones, have to take the rough with the smooth.
hi ken as we fish out of both ports penarth and swansea the problem is not weather the boat is fast or slow when we pay our money to go fishing we dnt expect to catch a freezer full of fish but if we want to have a go on the tope or fish for bream dnt expect to sit there for 4 hrs catching dog fish with the skipper not even showing his head around the door then at the end of the day say sorry boys they just didnt turn up today .

G

·
hi ken as we fish out of both ports penarth and swansea the problem is not weather the boat is fast or slow when we pay our money to go fishing we dnt expect to catch a freezer full of fish but if we want to have a go on the tope or fish for bream dnt expect to sit there for 4 hrs catching dog fish with the skipper not even showing his head around the door then at the end of the day say sorry boys they just didnt turn up today .
Are you talking about one particular skipper then? Not that I expect you to name him, but if so.....did you take it up with him?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well said mate we stopped fishing Swansea because of Skippers leaving you on a mark all day and going to sleep, that said we fished last weekend on Predator run by Paul Davies and skippered by his son Lloyd.
We had a great day and despite crap conditions Lloyd did his best to find the fish and we ended up with 10 species.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
There are good skippers with slower boats and lots of experience to go with it.
I come from a day and age where fast boats did not exist when I started boat fishing and it was down to a skipper knowing his ground and putting you on the fish as tides and conditions allowed. Believe me we had some cracking days but there were also the slower ones, have to take the rough with the smooth.
I totally agree, alot of the time people thinking heading over the horizon will put you on to bigger and better fish... thats not always the case, that being said, with fish stocks not being what they were 10 - 15 - 20 years ago having a quick well equipped boat allowing you to move large distances in a short time means alot more time fishing.

The key is, in a fast boat, if a mark isn't fishing... for what ever reason, bouncing around between marks so you cover more options isn't going to be very costly in the way of fishing time, where as this may not be the case in a slower boat.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
would just like to make a point here, summer fishing i agree that the skippers should be able to move about looking for an active feeding area, but, remember that when winter cod fishing, its best to stick with your given mark as the cod move freely with the tide, and will come through your mark at a certain piont of the tide, usually three hours after high, just as the ebb is begining to drop off.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
They wont be there much longer regardless of heritage / experience if they carry on the same. This post smacks of personal experience, can I ask if it's related to one or more boats. PLEASE though dont name them.
If you want a recommendation for Swansea give Rob on Lady Jue a shout. You'll pay more but in my experience he's hungry for the sound of fish hitting the deck and will move around. As with everything fishing related though there are no guarantees, and sometimes many many moves could not bring a fish your way.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They wont be there much longer regardless of heritage / experience if they carry on the same. This post smacks of personal experience, can I ask if it's related to one or more boats. PLEASE though dont name them.
If you want a recommendation for Swansea give Rob on Lady Jue a shout. You'll pay more but in my experience he's hungry for the sound of fish hitting the deck and will move around. As with everything fishing related though there are no guarantees, and sometimes many many moves could not bring a fish your way.
fished a few boats latley out of swansea had the same feeling just in it for the money coulnt give a dame if the day was good or bad...........iagree with one of the posts dont think they will be about much longer as i have fished swansea for over 20 years and carnt belive u can actually book weekend trips freely you would have to book way in advance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts