World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, During a recent clear out I came across this old reel which I was given many years ago by an old friend who has since passed on and was wondering if anyone knows what type it is. It comes with a leather case and I can vaguely make out shakespeare on it but dont know if the actual reel is a shakespeare or not. It has "japan" inscribed on the part which connects to the rod. The line is very light and im guessing no more than 4 pounds breaking strain. Any advice shall be much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,655 Posts
Closed face reel, used more by our fresh water match brethren. Might have more luck posting on one of the freshwater websites

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
hi it,s a shakespeare 2660 closed face match reel from the 70,s, i think from the looks of yours it has had most of the paint removed as they used to be brown in colour or perhaps this is a colour varient? but looking closer at your pics can see the remnants of the brown paint on the side casing
however a nice reel from its generation value of these nowadays is around the £10 mark
hope this helps you neil

Attachments

G

·
Looks like a copy of the ABU f/s reels of the 60's/70's, if Altzheimers' hasn't set in too much. Abu's shroud was anodised red. At that time, Mitchell produced open f/s only, if I recall. You'd need to post this on a fresh water forum with a lot of geriatrics.......

Crossed with Olly - sorry.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts