World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like a proper shore angler now. I'm blanking on two rods.

Sky Cloud Water Wood Slope

Probably doing everything wrong here. Wrong state of the tide (high) and wrong weather (sunny) but it was a couple of hours I could grab on a Friday afternoon. Another lovely afternoon for a blank.

Not even crabs nibbling the bait out on the Penn, I had raw prawn, squid and mackerel on a one-hook pulley rig and it was coming in untouched. Lost one cheap metal lure on the Shimano towards the end of the session when the braid snapped close to the point I'm releasing it - it may be coincidence that I started using a finger stall for the first time this week after a braid cut last week. Or, I got the braid cut because the line was getting rough at that point. Memo to self to pay closer attention to line condition in the future.

Bedrock Slope Road surface Wood Grass

On the positive side. I know I can pack everything I need into the new backpack and use it to carry both rods and the tripod whilst leaving both hands free. This is just what I need for my upcoming trip to Southwold when I'll have Dog_S with me.

Watching the water at Old Hunstanton, I think next time I'll aim (if possible) for the flood and directly below the Lifeboat track. There's a broad lagoon here forming behind a spit of sand that comes down from the right. The oyster catchers were giving it a fair bit of attention around the edges as the tide ebbed.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer, but I grabbed the chance today as I know the weekend will be busy clearing the decks to let me get away to Southwold. I might be able to squeeze in a coupe of hours on Tuesday or Wednesday, but it'll have to be local not to lose it all to driving.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't knock that place chap it might be very shallow water but with the amount of food you see there it has thrown up cod coding years ago.look at skegness how it fishes.all the best
I'll definitely keep trying these local marks. A lot of razor shell on the strandline yesterday, and I kept snagging juvenile cockles on the treble of the lure rod - so there's a lot of food out there. Picked the wrong time/conditions yesterday I guess.

Registered
Pity about the blank but still well worth it, that first photo is a stunner, congrats.

Reactions: George_S

Registered
I'll definitely keep trying these local marks. A lot of razor shell on the strandline yesterday, and I kept snagging juvenile cockles on the treble of the lure rod - so there's a lot of food out there. Picked the wrong time/conditions yesterday I guess.
That does fish in the winter you never know I fish holme the flounders are huge but coding do get caught in late winter early spring

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My home stretch is Snettisham to Brancaster, plus the tidal rivers at King's Lynn and Sutton Bridge which I've yet to try. Flounder is something on my catch-to-cook list to have a go at the Dutch/NE German dish of flounder with remoulade.

If the road was open at the Coal Barn I'd have tried fishing the creeks from Thornham round to Holme. Had a lovely couple of weekends camped down by Thornham Staithe last summer (before the parish council put up the illegal signs). That was before I had a rod though.

Registered
There is nowt wrong with the venue nor the time you fished it , sometimes the fish just ain鈥檛 there ! , I will say tho your bait selection isn鈥檛 good ( no offence ) nor rig selection the beaches up here are predominantly worm orientared and 2 of 3 hook flappers size 1or 2 hooks would be more warranted
It鈥檚 been tough last couple of days in almost perfect conditions even with the right bait and tactics 馃様 only managed a hand full of flounder s over a couple of sessions .. it can only get better 鈥 hopefully 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know the bait/rig selection wasn't perfect. Unfortunately it was all had at short notice.

Which would be the best frozen/dry bait to keep on-hand for spontaneous sessions?

Registered
I know the bait/rig selection wasn't perfect. Unfortunately it was all had at short notice.

Which would be the best frozen/dry bait to keep on-hand for spontaneous sessions?
Frozen blacks if any thing , macs ok as a fish bait .. next time your fishing give me a shout I鈥檝e loads of frozen blacks and I鈥檒l sort you some rigs out ( free of charge ) I鈥檓 only in heacham

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind offer @Chazza ! Is Heacham any good? I've tried Snettisham a few times.

I've some flapper rigs on the way, and I really want to get into making my own - but seeing a post earlier I've realised I need to use heavier rig body line than I have to hand at the moment.

Registered
Thanks for the kind offer @Chazza ! Is Heacham any good? I've tried Snettisham a few times.

I've some flapper rigs on the way, and I really want to get into making my own - but seeing a post earlier I've realised I need to use heavier rig body line than I have to hand at the moment.
Heacham is much the same as snettisham .. neither are really prolific

Registered
Don't knock that place chap it might be very shallow water but with the amount of food you see there it has thrown up cod coding years ago.look at skegness how it fishes.all the best

look at how skegness fishes??
fkin ell, the bloke wants a few cod, and skegvegas most certainly aint the place target em!!!!!!!!!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I fancied cod, I'd go to Vegas in Hunstanton (y) :ROFLMAO:

(prefer a haddock supper personally, and heaven would be a chippy that can do me a gf haddock supper and a gf white puddin' on the side)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts