World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I was out at old portlethen yesterday! never fished it before, but as its A shore mark ,that is in the scottish (marks )in WSF and near Aberdeen ,I gave it a go,!!!
Arrived to a dropping tide ,never the best!! I set up two rods both mackeral strip,on the hope of catching a cod ( i havent caught one for yrs) Five hrs in and nothing !! plenty seals about Nice!!
Even saw a porpoise in distance ,no fish though!!
By now i have been trying mussels ,limpets ,buckies anything i can find lying about. even spinning with dexter in search of mackie!! ZILCH
Then i thought i will try a jelly worm used with a jighead that i just bought on the bay!nothing for 30 mins ! then wham something hit midwater ! but no hookup but the firetail end to worm is no longer there. I packed up the bait rods ,but tried again with new jelly on my light spinning rod , last cast and im just lifting jelly out of water ,whaM!!
A pollack hit the jelly right on surface but misses the hook.so i drop again and this time i see it coming up like polaris!!! hook up right on the surface. Now it would be nice to say that it did the legendary pollack power dive .not quite!!! 15 sec later it was on rocks.people who say that they fight as hard as sea trout.erm.. no no no !! i suppose hitting it on the surface perhaps stopped it showing what it could do ! It was only a shade over three and a half pounds, fat ,and full of sand eels , not a cod but stopped me from having yet another blank.:fishing1:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
strange that the pollack didnt fight .. what gear were you using ??

·
Registered
115 Posts
I`ve always found Portlethan (ship`s stern)fairly slow in summer, much better winter mark, although the slopy rocks beside the fisherman`s cottages are normally not too bad for mackies to feathers....
Nice wee pollack though.....

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi
I was just using lightweight 10 ft spinning rod 12lb line and 16g jig head
And wine coloured fire tail jelly . no cod but better than nowt!!!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
very surpised there was no fight from it if you were using that gear. but hey no still a nice pollack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts