World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this.

I'm trying to get hold of 'old town 120 pdl' in UK/Kent.

There are some listings on Amazon UK but all of them are out of stock.

Any suggestions, where to find one?

Cheers

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hi,

Cheers
Hi Joe! I, like you had thought about buying an Old Town PDL120 last year, as I sub to Rad Reeling fishing on YouTube, and he is sort of an ambassador for Old Town. Great channel if you are into Kayaking. I sure when the new Predator was released last year, Cornwall Kayaks had the older model in stock, but it was around £4200 from them, and the Old Town USA website was quoting around $2600! Needles to say, I wasn't gonna be ripped off. Having done a quick search (I'm down on the Devon/Cornwall border), Cornwall canoes no longer stock Old Town, Kayaks & Paddles in Plymouth stock Old Town, but not the sit-on-top fishing models. I fear that a) you will struggle to find one, b) nobody seems to be shipping Kayaks at present due to Covid19, and c) be prepared to be ripped off for anything from USA. Pelican Yaks are pretty good, but the pricing rip off is much the same. Good luck!

EDIT: In a moment of madness, before it went out of stock I did briefly consider this (below). I don't know if there is going to be any more, as the seller either imports or manufactures them.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORISED-FISHING-KAYAK-Bluewave-Trident-Motor-Stand-Up-Foot-Steering-Rudder/174029566988

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thanks Trampster,

That's disappointing really.

£4200 for predator is outrageous. I'll wait for 'Old Town PDL120' this year if someone stocks them for reasonable price.

Edit:
This one seems tempting for a temporary kayak. Not sure how stable/safe it is. Unable to find much information.

https://cambridgekayaks.co.uk/collections/double-fishing-kayak/products/sailfish-sea-fishing-kayak-with-pro-pedal-drive-system?variant=31812125655153
For the money, the Cambridge Kayak looks quite good. But, the attraction with the Old Town PDL system for me was that with a prop instead of the Hobie style fins, you have the option of being able to reverse if fighting a fish in a current, and the carrying capacity of the Old Town Kayaks is quite a bit more than the Cambridge - being a fat old Slug, I'd have to take that into consideration! Whilst googling to check my facts, this popped up on eBay in case you are interested!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Town-Predator-XL-MK-Motorised-Kayak-Fishing-Kayak-Minn-Kota-engine/114268351566?hash=item1a9aecac4e:g:vb8AAOSwmBRe7rKm

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi,

Cheers
There’s one for sale on Facebook 1800 pound 2000k with fish finder etc

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi,

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
with a prop instead of the Hobie style fins, you have the option of being able to reverse if fighting a fish in a current,
The hobie 180 drive will do that and now there is the 360 series.
I don't know about the 360 but I have the 180. I bought it for the ability to hit reverse while lure fishing. If I get snagged I can peddle up tide to try and release it without putting the rod down and have even managed to get a large Pollock out after it tried burying itself in some rocks.
Have a look around as there are lots of Hobies for sale at the moment and there are also the Riot peddle kayaks rather than the cheaper end of the market, as both Hobie and Riot are well known makes.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Great info! Maybe of use to Joe as he is a lot closer to sellers location than me! 400+ mile round trip from Here to Wycombe, plus I refuse to have anything to do with Farcebook!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Wilderness also do a pedal
For the money, the Cambridge Kayak looks quite good. But, the attraction with the Old Town PDL system for me was that with a prop instead of the Hobie style fins, you have the option of being able to reverse if fighting a fish in a current, and the carrying capacity of the Old Town Kayaks is quite a bit more than the Cambridge - being a fat old Slug, I'd have to take that into consideration! Whilst googling to check my facts, this popped up on eBay in case you are interested!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Old-Town-Predator-XL-MK-Motorised-Kayak-Fishing-Kayak-Minn-Kota-engine/114268351566?hash=item1a9aecac4e:g:vb8AAOSwmBRe7rKm
Have you considered a wilderness? They also do a prop style pedal system, called a helix pedal drive. That will reverse backwards without having to pull any levers also.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Have you considered a wilderness? They also do a prop style pedal system, called a helix pedal drive. That will reverse backwards without having to pull any levers also.
I was looking at the wilderness radar 135 pdl there was none in uk new for sale and not expected till January. None second hand were I looked. There expensive 2.2k just for yak then 1k for peddle drive and same if want trolling motor so 4.2k all in wow lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah, it is a bit steep when buying them new as you've also got the import taxes to pay.
But they do come up second hand every so often.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I see there is an old town predator motorised kayak on eBay at the moment for 2.5k, don't know what they're like as I'm new to this myself.

·
Registered
761 Posts

Thanks for the info. I've had a search. and a few UK shops are listed as Wilderness systems stockists, but the USA website shows the Radar 115 & 135 as being available with a pedal drive option, but I couldn't find any UK prices. Only one store had one of those models listed, saying "Call us for pricing". No, I want to see how much it's gonna cost me before I have to endure some sales geek on the phone!

·
Registered
761 Posts
I see there is an old town predator motorised kayak on eBay at the moment for 2.5k, don't know what they're like as I'm new to this myself.
That is the one I linked in my post that you first replied to! Old Town are pretty good, but even for a motorised 2nd hand Yak, that is a fair chunk of cash. Plus, being down in the South West corner like you, it would cost me another chunk of cash with my 4x4 to drive to cambridge & back to collect it! Matey is insisting cash on collection only too, which I think is against eBay terms - sellers have to offer PayPal, and then at least you get some buyer protection.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ah sorry I didn't click on your original link :unsure:.
When I bought my wilderness I travelled to reading to get it.
I hired an extra long wheel base van from enterprise for £45.
The Guy also wanted the same price as that, but I put it to him that by the time he paid PayPal fees and ebay fees he would only get £2050 and offered him £2k, he saw the sense in it and took it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts