World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gents
Hit the surf last night arrived on the beach about quarter to eight both lines in the water by eight. The setup was a long flapper with two foot snood on the top and a one foot snood on the bottom. One had luminous beads the other didn't. The main quarry was bass so I went for a 2/0 hook big enough for a reasonable bass but small enough for a big flattie.

Strange night we had a starlit night one minute, and the next hail, sleet, and snow the full winter shower ensemble.
The surf when we got there was around a foot tight tables close together for the first 80 meters so plenty going on, this later dropped off to 6 ins and about 50 meter out not great but we had a very dark night in our favour.
The baits were fresh lug and a few fresh razors, I normally have a look around for a few clams but after setting up and baiting my hands were nobbled lol.

My mate struct after a only a few minutes landing a bass of 2lb 2oz, spoting bites was difficult in a strong northerly cross wind so I fished by the clock. My first cast seen me land two dabs on one and a flounder on the other. The dabs were lightly hooked as you would expect with 2/0 hooks but the flounder a credible 14 ins had swallowed the lot. I cast out again with worms on both rods and was rewarded again, with two dabs and a flounder. By this time my mate was landing his second bass about a pound and a flounder just below it.

I continued to catch dabs and flounders in various combinations but it was noticeable that the dabs particularly favoured the luminous beads. I managed my first bass about mid tide again around the pound mark. The Flats continued right through the tide but the early part of the flooding tide seen the best results. My final tally was sixteen dabs biggest 13 ins 12 flounders biggest 14 1/2 ins and a bass. My mate 1 dab he guessed around 8 flounders and 3 bass two around 2 pound one smaller at a pound. A very busy session my mate packed one of his rods after two hours because it was so hectic and had set his sights on a bigger bass so didn't want the distraction. Three of our bass came on the fresh razor, the flats all on worm except one.

We walked off the beach around 2 in morning elated with the session but with a bit of a uphill walk, snow, hail, and wind chilling our fingers we were soon brought down to earth lol.

·
Premium Member
26,240 Posts
Great report.😁 I remember when you could get that sort of catch here.😢

·
Registered
14,598 Posts
Your surf beach is obviously more productive than mine :( Never seen or heard of a dab being caught on mine which is a real shame as they are such an obliging little fish and very tasty as well. A really good report on a great session , the fish biting certainly helps on the enjoyment front when the weather is crap :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Well done bud good sesh with plenty of action.
I cant fish with frozen fingers and bring a couple of packs of Hothands to rescue them with if I know its going to be a cold sesh.

·
Registered
8,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A nice mixed bag with some nice sized dabs. Well done.
There was a few smaller ones how they got on the hook I'll never Know same for the flounders not seeing the bites and fishing by the clock probably helped

1 - 20 of 28 Posts