World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to have an onboard 4kg gas bottle and thought about fitting it in the o/b engine well as it is effectively a bucket with drain holes. Anybody any practical solutions how to mount it safely.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Regs are really tight,:

Enclosed locker with high and low level drains,
Shut off valve to correct spec, no needle or gate valves these days.
Not nore than 1 metre of flexible hose but as short as possible practically.
There is a spec for the Jubilee clips (Can't remember it) or joint can be swaged or crimp clipped.
Hose to be replaced 5 years from the date stamped on it, sooner of it degrades or is worn.
Solid tube, either drawn copper or Stainless and sized to flow correct rate of gas. To be secured min 500mm centres and sealed where it passed through bulkheads to protect from abrasion
Solid tube to be joined by compression fittings (used to allow soldered but I am not sure now)
Taper fittings to be sealed with additional joint compound

There are loads more and strangely you don't have to be Corgi Registered, unless the boat is hired out or used as a primary residence.

All the regs say is the installation must be done in a workmanlike manner. I would be confident in doing the work but for peace of mind and to save the potential for grief off your insurers I would get it checked by a Corgi fitter, he will basically commission it and give to a Gas Safety Cert.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris,
I think I'll just take a flask and sarnies then. It's only a two burner camping gaz stove.
No Bacon butties on my boat then.

I have one of those camping windproof stands and a little two burner gas stove. I thought I would just put the bottle in the engine well so it would drain out the drain holes should it leak.

Intriged to know what regs there are for the canister type cookers.

G

·
The odd thing with the canister cookers is that they have no external plumbing so no concerns over pipes. Also the canister itself is either on or off and when it's on, it has safty overides to supposedly make it impossible to leak. Likewise when it's off, the valve closes and it can't leak again.
...apparently.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I use one of these on the boat,pick them up for a tenner.

Great for making tea and having a fry up.It packs away in a little case.
I get the Gas cans for around £1 each and they last a fair while.

Alan

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Regs are really tight,:

Enclosed locker with high and low level drains,
Shut off valve to correct spec, no needle or gate valves these days.
Not nore than 1 metre of flexible hose but as short as possible practically.
There is a spec for the Jubilee clips (Can't remember it) or joint can be swaged or crimp clipped.
Hose to be replaced 5 years from the date stamped on it, sooner of it degrades or is worn.
Solid tube, either drawn copper or Stainless and sized to flow correct rate of gas. To be secured min 500mm centres and sealed where it passed through bulkheads to protect from abrasion
Solid tube to be joined by compression fittings (used to allow soldered but I am not sure now)
Taper fittings to be sealed with additional joint compound

There are loads more and strangely you don't have to be Corgi Registered, unless the boat is hired out or used as a primary residence.

All the regs say is the installation must be done in a workmanlike manner. I would be confident in doing the work but for peace of mind and to save the potential for grief off your insurers I would get it checked by a Corgi fitter, he will basically commission it and give to a Gas Safety Cert.
bang on with the spech CHRIS,but yesterday i had the SAME conversation with the chap who USED to certify the boats for the local inland marina,know HE CANNOT UNLESS he takes a new test just for water-craft gas!! he isnt a happy chappie and isnt going to do the test(cost) so yet another powers that be F---k up

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Yep I used to have it for LPG work on Caravans which at one time was good for any LPG work, now it is split into vehicle, caravan, marine, domestic....... About £1.5k a course last time I looked.

Strange they havn't regulated DIY it on pleasure boats yet

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
One like this can be used on a boat, no fitting and no regs that I am aware of apart from usual sfety advice that comes in the box.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3407497/Trail/searchtext>CAMPING.htm

They do rust with the salt but you will get a season or two out of it before it needs replacing.

Alan beat me to it, they are what I use as well.
Robert Dyas are doing them for £9.99 if you have one near you.

http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/webapp/...0351&showSubCategory=yes&top=Y&cache_entry=-1

Alan

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Got one of them already and fancied the dual burner one with a grill with the first size screw on reulator bottle. Aldi were doing them 2 or 3 weeks back. Not even sure it is 4 kg.

Like you say they are almost a consumable.
Guess what ,the canisters were unavailable till the new catalogue and with a large hike in price.

It does seem strange that you can have one of these in your car boot in case you fancy a brew but as soon as you put it on a boat all sorts of regulations come in.
I know all the issues about the gas remaining in the bilges but if I kept the gas so it drained over the side I should have been safe.
maybe just get one of those american barbie stands that hang over the stern. Red hot coals on a plastic shower tray there's a thought.

This is the type of thing Campingaz Chef Double Burner and Grill (a la argos)

G

·
They are pretty standard on most Pilot house boats. Come as part of the galley kit with the majority.
ChrisP is spot on about the lasting a season or two. They corrode so when replacing, as with everything boats, where possible get it from Robert Dyas, Argos or anywhere other than the chandlery as it will be a third the price.

Alan, you should have a mini galley area underneath your helm seat? Unless your boat was orginally sold to someone that didn't order it (it ws chargeable then)...? There was a mini sink on one side and the little stove on the other. You'd flip the twin helm seat forward to use it....

Tom

·
Registered
842 Posts
I use one of these on the boat,pick them up for a tenner.

Great for making tea and having a fry up.It packs away in a little case.
I get the Gas cans for around £1 each and they last a fair while.

Alan
These comw as standard fitment in QS Pilothouse 640 !!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Ha Ha Ha , you have obviously been to charm school recently , as you wit/humour has increased ten fold , either that , or finally the pills are now working !!!!! any way do'nt go back to your "Big Bad Tom " ways

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that the previous owner opted for the Eberspacher D2 central heating instead of the cooker option.
It always concerns me that I would want to have spare canisters with me just in case. Nothing worse than just about getting the water luke warm and the gaz runs out. These canisters are not rustproof are they? so unless stored in a waterproof container then equally dangerous. Anyone ever found a 1980's can in the bilges?????? yuk!
Argos still listed them but there were none in stock at any branches in Scotland. Will check next week as they were due in after the new catalogue.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Alan, you should have a mini galley area underneath your helm seat? Unless your boat was orginally sold to someone that didn't order it (it ws chargeable then)...? There was a mini sink on one side and the little stove on the other. You'd flip the twin helm seat forward to use it....

Tom
Nearly right Tom !!!

Sink is there but no Stove....

I keep the stove stored under the seat and just put it next to the stink when I need it.

Alan

G

·
Ha Ha Ha , you have obviously been to charm school recently , as you wit/humour has increased ten fold , either that , or finally the pills are now working !!!!! any way do'nt go back to your "Big Bad Tom " ways

Cheers Ian
I may be fat, but I am not big and bad unless I've had too much chilli and then it can be very bad and don't need my own gas bottle.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nearly right Tom !!!

Sink is there but no Stove....

I keep the stove stored under the seat and just put it next to the stink when I need it.

Alan

Alan what do you use the "stink" for ????????

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
They are pretty standard on most Pilot house boats. Come as part of the galley kit with the majority.
ChrisP is spot on about the lasting a season or two. They corrode so when replacing, as with everything boats, where possible get it from Robert Dyas, Argos or anywhere other than the chandlery as it will be a third the price.

Tom
The Raider 640 has a great one Tom!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
It always concerns me that I would want to have spare canisters with me just in case. Nothing worse than just about getting the water luke warm and the gaz runs out. These canisters are not rustproof are they? so unless stored in a waterproof container then equally dangerous. .
Just got 4 cans in Asda in the marina for £3.99. Some shops (chandlers) want over £2.50 for them each.
I keep mine in a bag under one of the berths in the cabin and never seen any rust on them.
I guess it depends on how damp your boat is inside.

Alan

1 - 20 of 46 Posts