World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Got Ratty out on the morning tide today, a chilly 4C at 6am but carting all my clutter plus a battery down to the furthest end of the furthest pontoon certainly warmed me up. The Cardiff dredger has arrived on site, by end of this month I'm hoping I'll be back on my usual mooring.
It was essentially flat out there, a bit of chop from a brisk f2NW but no swell. I had no particular plan in mind, so just trundled out to the Boobies to join all the other Watchet boats who were scattered on various features. Out went the various rods with a good flow still running. It wasn't long before the first dogfish found me, then a much brisker fish that turned out to be a strap conger around 5lb. After that, things backed off to just a very slow stream of dogs. An hour before slack, I got restless and decided to haul everything in and head off to the (deserted) blonde ray banks in search of a 'proper' fish. Typically, last rod in had a 5lb 10oz thornback lurking at the end of the trace.
I stuck to my impromptu plan and after a detour to examine some charted features that simply don't exist any more, dropped anchor on a long low bank. More depth but less tide here and first fish in - a dogfish. Another sixteen would follow but one fish tracking up the tide at speed had to be a hound. It was indeed, a starry around 6lb. Slack came, the rods started swinging around and knitting and a little 4lb common hound added to the chaos. I spent much of the time with rods shipped while I skinned the thornback.
When the tide finally got going again, the doggies came back on the feed. I was starting to clock-watch when a fish on a downtide rod ran a few yards off as I lifted into it. I assumed a hound but it proved to be a small blonde of 5lb 14oz. Not the monster I'd hoped for but a pretty fish and also my target species. I wrapped up the session well ahead of time as I still don't have too much confidence about the size of my tidal window. As it happened, I was into the berth a good 30 minutes before I need have been.
Not a session to set the world on fire but I did get a good mix of species, albeit just one of each. The hounds are very much here, I think next opportunity I get I will have a go for them with crab.

Steve

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Steve! Let’s hope it starts warming up a bit soon though!
Warmer would be good! Funny day yesterday, one charter described it as quiet, which was how I felt. The private boat nearby had a big blonde and two lunker conger and were absolutely buzzing back on the pontoon.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
We were out form Bos again yesterday. 4 boats from the club all started at Lilstock, loads of fish but we only found dogs and straps, not even a thornie. The other boats all had a hound or 2 with one bor having 6!! no more than a 100 yards from us. We all moved for the ebb and there were 3 bass caught by the others but again all we had were straps and dogs though we did at least get a couple of thornbacks. Poor days fishing for us but a lovely day on the water.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Once the harbour has been dredged and your back on your normal mooring as long as it constantly has water under it you should be able to collect them in a small trap under your boat

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
That about covers my day too. Wonder if the shore crabs are active inshore? I’d really like to pick a few up before the next trip 🤔
Steve, the harbour should be infested with them. As said above, if you can find somewhere with a bit of water in, drop a trap down.
Ideally somewhere you can leave for an hour or two and that will be covered with water for that time.
It doesn’t matter too much if that spot ever dries out, as long as there’s some water for the duration of the crab fishing.
Ideally alongside a bit of stony wall with weed at the base, but they’ll appear!
It really doesn’t take long. I used one of these off a stone quay in my local estuary a couple of weeks ago and it was half full within 30-40 minutes.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Porlock Wier is my usual choice for crabbing- something deeply civilised about sharing a pint from the Ship with Mrs M while we watch a crab pot soak. A pot on the mooring is more efficient though....
I was more wondering when shore crabs move inshore after winter (if indeed they ever leave)?

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
Porlock Wier is my usual choice for crabbing- something deeply civilised about sharing a pint from the Ship with Mrs M while we watch a crab pot soak. A pot on the mooring is more efficient though....
I was more wondering when shore crabs move inshore after winter (if indeed they ever leave)?
Don’t think they ever really leave, lol.
A lot will be getting ready to peel now, if they’re not already.

But certainly I got loads in the estuary a couple of weeks ago with minimum effort.
A few may well have been near peeling actually, but not that near as they were still feeding.

Unless of course you actually want the pint (and who wouldn’t?) I’d think you’d pick a few up on the mooring?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Stick a pot over the side of your boat, walk to the quay to the pub. have a pint or two then stroll back to your boat and lift the pot and remove the crabs. job done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts