World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it best to join the World Sea Fishing Forum again to gain info regarding the dwindling 2014-2015 stocks of both mackerel and bass between Portmadog and Criccieth.
The mackerel as of the last few years seem to be there later and later. I spoke to a sea fisher
who lives Colwyn Bay and he seems to know when the mackerel may be visiting the area I mention because when he says they are just coming to Colwyn Bay they surely are found
around Cardigan bay shortly after then.
This year the mackerel seem to have gone quite early & I wonder if this was due to the
quantity of rain this summer ? In any case there definately seems to be far fewer about than
years ago but I can go back some 40 years..........
An old pal of mine used to catch 100 + bass in a season up until 5 years ago but this year I had only two at 6 lbs apiece. The last year I fished with him in my boat & was after a few mackerel for bait but on my first drop with the feathers I caught 3 bass which of course went straight back but my pal said one was of takeable size and he also said ---- no need to instruct **** how to do it...... With respect I said to the absolute expert " no fisher who has any sense has done learning - ever" I must say though that on that occasion it did underline the fact that there were certainly a few bass about !
Lately or rather since that day all fish seem to be scarce in Cardigan Bay or am I trying to fish in the wrong place ? I doubt it because another worrying thing is that I have not seen a single dolphin off Criccieth. Granted I have not been out all that much due to the crap summer and when it was nice I was not there to go out which was a shame and typical.
The first time I went out early season the mackerel should have been there but when I enquired of a local who just came in he said we've had one between three of us since 8 am...... I had six which I really thought was a miracle but that was about 5 miles offshore.........
I am looking forward to next season but I'm not 'holding my breath'.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I thought it best to join the World Sea Fishing Forum again to gain info regarding the dwindling 2014-2015 stocks of both mackerel and bass between Portmadog and Criccieth.
The mackerel as of the last few years seem to be there later and later. I spoke to a sea fisher
who lives Colwyn Bay and he seems to know when the mackerel may be visiting the area I mention because when he says they are just coming to Colwyn Bay they surely are found
around Cardigan bay shortly after then.
This year the mackerel seem to have gone quite early & I wonder if this was due to the
quantity of rain this summer ? In any case there definately seems to be far fewer about than
years ago but I can go back some 40 years..........
An old pal of mine used to catch 100 + bass in a season up until 5 years ago but this year I had only two at 6 lbs apiece. The last year I fished with him in my boat & was after a few mackerel for bait but on my first drop with the feathers I caught 3 bass which of course went straight back but my pal said one was of takeable size and he also said ---- no need to instruct **** how to do it...... With respect I said to the absolute expert " no fisher who has any sense has done learning - ever" I must say though that on that occasion it did underline the fact that there were certainly a few bass about !
Lately or rather since that day all fish seem to be scarce in Cardigan Bay or am I trying to fish in the wrong place ? I doubt it because another worrying thing is that I have not seen a single dolphin off Criccieth. Granted I have not been out all that much due to the crap summer and when it was nice I was not there to go out which was a shame and typical.
The first time I went out early season the mackerel should have been there but when I enquired of a local who just came in he said we've had one between three of us since 8 am...... I had six which I really thought was a miracle but that was about 5 miles offshore.........
I am looking forward to next season but I'm not 'holding my breath'.
Its been pretty much the same all around the coast of the UK this year.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A couple of year's ago, we went to the Greek islands. On the five hour ferry from Pireaus to Naxos I was shocked to see no gulls or diving sea birds at all.
On the island we were offered red mullet at a restaurant - there were about 20 fish, none longer than 3 inches, on a medium plate. Only about £4 and would have been delicious, but I wouldn't have them.

Luckily the situation is not yet that extreme here. There are still some fish in the sea though nothing like when I was a lad (as they say) . It's up to us to do our little bit to improve matters. For me, starting sea fishing more than 60 years ago, it has been a long slow lesson - conservation needs to be part of our fishing practice. I still love fishing and taking some 'for the pot' is very much part of it.
Of course, rod and line fishing is only a very small bit of the problem (generally).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.