World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:clap3: Should have done this threas on monday - but better late than never.

Well the weekend past was out first monthly trip of the year down off the mull of galloway with the Skipper with the shiny golden orbs. and with the weather gods not playing ball we thought were we to rely on those well polished orbs ian keeps with him at all times?

The phone call on Saturday night brought bad news, none of the 'onyer marks' fleet would be fishing on sunday due to the horrendous forcast from the wind guru. Not what we wanted to be hearing since guy had almost broke his back getting a smattering of rag for this trip, along with a couple of peelers ( and I mean a couple)

But with some badgering and statements like "Were No Fair weather fishermen" it was decided that we would travel down on the sunday morning and meet Ian at his house. Grand Job on the house by the way Ian - Well done.

So myself, Guy(theguyfulla), graham (fishhead) and Keith left sunny lanarkshire at 5am after I had finished my shift in the club!

The choice was either fish in Ians new fish pond or head down to one of the launch sites and seek some shelter from the wind. so off we went, FOLLOWED only by one private boat, a raider 18. we drifted around an hour to get some bait, and it was tough, but with a bucket of live launce we were off chasing the pollack on some of the inshore marks.. great fun and by lunchtime we had a fair variety of species on the boat. Mackerel, coalie, cod, herring, launce, pollack, not bad for a morning pottering about looking for shelter.

As the afternoon grew on us, the crew had posed the question to Ian, about the possibility of some tope, given the inclimate warm weather and the advanced mackerel shoals that had been reported. given we had caught jus three mackerel at this point. Ian was sceptical, and rightly so given his earliest ever tope session was late may. It was decided that we would use some of Ians saturda launce and go ray fishing for some thornies with the possibility of a spotted ray.

Onyer Marks nice newly broken in engine roared back into life and we were soon back on the plain, heading for a new mark - this is a mark that Ian has also had a few early season tope - things were looking good.:g:

we arrived at the new mark, and right away mackerel were punding feathers left, right and centre. not joeys either, serious sized mackerel that would be more at home on a 14/0 in the Firth of Lorne.... It was Tope time.!:clap2: :clap2:

With all thses mackerel about, there were sure to be tope feeding on them. despite Ian saying we were here for species, everyone soon had tope traces on, except guy that is, he had desires on another species. We all settled down with our mackerel baits fishin nicely and guy cast his (couple) of peelers uptide.

Within 5 minutes one of the ratchets screamed off......................... but it wasnt one of the tope rods, it was guys rod:blink: surely not a tope on peeler?

Nope it wasn't a tope, it was a belting starry smoothhound of 6.5 lb a new species for guy and a cracking fish by any account. then the fun began as grahams tope rod sprung into action with a searing run he was into one of the sleek grey beauties. soon after he landed a lovely 30lb male tope, ven though he was using one of those explosive new abu lever drag reels.... :giveup: :giveup:

this was followed bu keith who got two 25lbers in quick succession.

After Keith got his second fish aboard, there was a real eureka moment on the boat as guy had realised we'd been catching tope for 45 minutes and he was still fishing with worm baits and size 1 hooks for dabs and whiting:g: So with the gusto that resembled a tramp at a buffet, he had a tope rig and a half mackerel on the bottom and fishing. :clap3:

Soon after, guy had a tope onboard, well a micro tope af maybe 11lbs, vastly overshadowed by the sprited fight of the smoothie. THen i finally got a run, and I mean a run, this fish picked up everyone elses braid and caused the amlightiest of tangles. However with help and guidance from Ian the fish was soon onboard - a belting 35lb male fish that wasn't as happy to see me as i was him.

The skipper soon got in on the action showing how to catch a 10lb thornback ray on the float. dont see that every day! then Ian got his first tope of the season, which was very welcome after his 5 weeks fishing for dabs from his remote base in Lochaline.

Keith then got his third of the day, confirming the title Tope-mister wipeing the flors with the rest of us - long may it continue.

All in al a cracking days fishing with 7 tope, a smoothie, several dogs, a double thornie, several pollack, grey gurnards, coalies, launce, herring,codling, mackerel twelve species for the day!

So much for fair weather fishermen - hope the yenjoyed their ly-ins as much as we enjoyed our day toping! :clap2:

Attachments

·
Halfway To the Horizon
1,513 Posts
gr8 report! ian always seems to find the fish...
good to see the tope and smoothies are entering the area! hopefully some shore bashes for them soon enough! :boat: :) :fish:
PS

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Excellent report.Sounds like you all had a great trip. I bet you were not fishing far from the Tigh Na Mara boozer!!!! :)

Bloody hell Ian you have had your locks cut. When I saw you at LA you were a dead ringer for Harpo Marks :roll1: :roll1: :roll1:

Off to the Oban area with FastD early doors tomorrow for a few days. Hopefully a decent report may follow.

Guy back over to the Clash next weekend,will you be in the virginity????

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
:) Well done guys - superb days sport - I am really looking forward to my toping with Ian at the start of June :)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent report.Sounds like you all had a great trip. I bet you were not fishing far from the Tigh Na Mara boozer!!!! :)

Bloody hell Ian you have had your locks cut. When I saw you at LA you were a dead ringer for Harpo Marks :roll1: :roll1: :roll1:

Off to the Oban area with FastD early doors tomorrow for a few days. Hopefully a decent report may follow.

Tight lines snatcher - hope you get amungst the dabs this time

looking forward to your report

not at liberty to isclose the exact location i'm affraidLOL

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
crackin report there lad ,:clap3: :clap3: ye it was a crackin day the weather was not kind at all but if every trip this year turns out like this one i,ll be a very happy bunny!!:notworthy :notworthy

·
Hardcore Poster
1,575 Posts
Guy - the weather must have been dodgy if Sir Ian - was scared to go out :) :)

·
Registered
724 Posts
Good report,and glad you had a few, I'll let you know when the big girls arrive down here then you can plan your next trip

Many Bass or Mullet about the bay yet? a young lad weighed a good one in here at the weekend.
A large shoal of Mullet have also been seen cruising in one of the bays on the east coast for the past couple of weeks.

·
Team Jedi
1,639 Posts
Great report Davy
sounds like a good sesh was had by all,i didna recognise Ian with his new look hairdoo ;)Some nice fish all the same M8.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Guy - the weather must have been dodgy if Sir Ian - was scared to go out :) :)
he,s never scared to go out peter, just wants to look after his punters make sure they have the best possible day out , he just needed a wee bit of gentle persusion on sat night :secret: :secret: :fish: :fish: :rtfm:

·
Registered
210 Posts
Great report lads :)

smoothound might have to take some fresh crab and give it a go from the shore:secret:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
hi john i popped in on sun morn , but yer car was,nt there so never stopped , not be down next weekend , though i would really like to other plans :giveup: you mind an get yer back busted up on one of them big dabs at the weekend though !!:clap3:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Great report lads, :clap3: I can't wait!! We've got 3 trips out again with Mr B in June :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Top report well done Davie.
Neal
The Skink

1 - 20 of 27 Posts