World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although Milliband and DEFRA have come in for some stick of late and I must say, much has been deserved. I think they should be applauded for their intentions to open up England's coastline to the public. Story HERE.

I, like many others was under the mistaken impression that coastline was Crown property and as such, we could walk the beaches freely. Not so apparently. "People are legally entitled to travel by boat over the foreshore when the tide is in, but not to walk on it when the waters recede."

Under the new proposals the coastline will be opened up and will be "erosion-proof" in as much as the path will retreat inland, as the coast is eroded. Land owners will not be compensated for this right of access, so I think we can prepare for some wailing and gnashing of teeth.

On a separate but not entirely unconnected note, ALL parcels of land in England will now have to be recorded in the Land Registry, so finally we'll get to know just whom owns what. LINK

Good news for once DEFRA, keep it up

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
Unfortunately parts of this have been opposed by the NFU as farmers are unphappy about everyone having free access across their land where there is no traditional right of way.

Again this is an area that if RSA's were organised then they could have put a counter argument forward to the NFU. Many farmers are suffering from a drop in income and are struggling to make ends meet. If they were to offer secure parking and and information on and access to fishing marks from their land they would be able to generate income from RSA's.

·
Registered
477 Posts
nice links codhead - and for once it sounds as though it (the right to access the coastline) is just going to happen. The legislation essentially is there, they are just extending the scope, so should be fairly quick and easy - we'll see. (Having just read some more I see they may lump it in with the marine bill, so I'm now a little less sanguine, over the prospects of quick and easy implementation.)

And about time the land registration process was completed. How the hell can they nationalise the countryside if we don't know who owns it ;)

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately parts of this have been opposed by the NFU as farmers are unphappy about everyone having free access across their land where there is no traditional right of way.
They said the same about the Right to Roam legislation but the predicted "acts of vandalism" & "drug-fuelled raves" have failed to materialise. I must admit to smiling when I read this bit from an accompanying article:

"Imagine you had someone who was not very desirable plonking themselves down with a can of beer on the beach when you were entertaining in your garden. It really would be quite awkward."

That's me that is :)

·
Registered
8,986 Posts

Again this is an area that if RSA's were organised then they could have put a counter argument forward to the NFU. Many farmers are suffering from a drop in income and are struggling to make ends meet. If they were to offer secure parking and and information on and access to fishing marks from their land they would be able to generate income from RSA's.
Very good idea,next time i pick up the farmers weekly i will phone them and ask if this proposal could be put forward for the farmers to consider,never know some may take it up == PAT

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
I can see why the farmers would be concerned by this. Government comes along and says we are not taking any land off you but you wont be allowed to farm a 5yard wide strip of land at the edge of yor field so people can walk on it. I wonder who'll they'll make responsible for the fences that Health and Safety will require to be put up so people don't fall into the sea?

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can see why the farmers would be concerned by this. Government comes along and says we are not taking any land off you but you wont be allowed to farm a 5yard wide strip of land at the edge of yor field so people can walk on it. I wonder who'll they'll make responsible for the fences that Health and Safety will require to be put up so people don't fall into the sea?
I don't recall seeing any fences along the West Coast Path, if the NT can get away without them, I'm sure the farmers can manage

·
The Bean Counter
44,170 Posts
I don't recall seeing any fences along the West Coast Path, if the NT can get away without them, I'm sure the farmers can manage
But farmers are operating a business so the rules will be different. If someone puts their foot down a hole on this strip of land and breaks an ankle who is going to be sued??? Presumably the farmer as he still owns that land so this means that he'll have to maintain the footpath!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But farmers are operating a business so the rules will be different. If someone puts their foot down a hole on this strip of land and breaks an ankle who is going to be sued??? Presumably the farmer as he still owns that land so this means that he'll have to maintain the footpath!
The path also traverses private land (farm & non-commercial), again with minimal signing and no fences. Once any farmers had been relieved of the margin, they would also be relieved of any responsibility for its upkeep.

Anyway, it seems to work OK in Scotland

1 - 9 of 9 Posts