World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have seen in the last couple of days a couple of mayland 500s one was old i dont know how old but looked in reasonable order and one that is a couple of years old i do like the look of them .they seem to offer me what i am looking for just wondered if any one else has any feedback on them as i am nearly ready to buy one as long as it has a trailer so i an put it on my drive to titafate with while i set about doing the skipper 2 and vhf courese cheers andy if any one has piccies of them to post it will give me an idea as to rig it out for my liking

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
The Mayland 500 is OK for rivers and estuaries, and close inshore on a calm day. It is more of a small cruiser, the cabin space would not be a great place to be if there was any wave at all. For the money, and for a 16 foot boat, if I were you I would forget the idea of an enclosed cabin and go for something with less cabin and more cockpit space - more a cuddy than a cabin with a door. After all you will want to be outside rather that in, whether fishing or not. From memory the Mayland hull is a bit boxy, more shallow vee than deep vee.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
quote....From memory the Mayland hull is a bit boxy, more shallow vee than deep vee.

Yes very box like and not the best boat in a choppy sea. It would certainly bounce and bang across the waves at any thing but slow speed. Ideal on the Thames or a canal but not the best for the sea. IMO not the boat for inshore sea fishing. I also agree with Salar that less cabin and more deck is the way to go, idealy with a small cuddy ( a small open ended shed up the sharp end as my wife would call it)

Afishionado

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi yes brill thats the sort of advice i can work from cheers i will carry on looking more deck less cabin any suggestions i do not want a flyer type boat if possible many thanks andy

·
Banned
820 Posts
15ft Seahogg Shortie. Small cuddy bags of deck room. Stable for fishing. Doesn't tip too much when you are near the side. Very light a doddle to launch. And fast enough when you want to move with any motor of 30hp or above.

I'm sure you will get more opinions on other boat options.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
15ft Seahogg Shortie. Small cuddy bags of deck room. Stable for fishing. Doesn't tip too much when you are near the side. Very light a doddle to launch. And fast enough when you want to move with any motor of 30hp or above.

I'm sure you will get more opinions on other boat options.

gs425e I think you said you didn't want a cathederal hull, but I have to agree with Rajabatisss'ss'esss' comments. If you can afford it one of these little seahogs would be ideal for you.

Afishionado.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i have to agree as well a great little boat very stable at rest would prefer a higher free board tho regards steve

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi i dont mind a cathedral hull as such its just that the flyer seems really popular im not belittleing them as they are probely good boats its just a thing with me i like unconvential/non popular things eg my interested in classic bikes not every one has the models i got but the sea hog sounds good is 15 ft ok size wise i did see a write up on a similar boat in one of the mags i think it was called a fisherman 15 now do i go for a second hand package or do i buy the boat new and source a good second hand motor or do i get a second hand boat and a new motor i will look around for one to view i have a budget for the a boat package of £3000 but can go to £5500 in june so im in no hurry as long as it is soon lol andy

·
Banned
820 Posts
hi i dont mind a cathedral hull as such its just that the flyer seems really popular im not belittleing them as they are probely good boats its just a thing with me i like unconvential/non popular things eg my interested in classic bikes not every one has the models i got but the sea hog sounds good is 15 ft ok size wise i did see a write up on a similar boat in one of the mags i think it was called a fisherman 15 now do i go for a second hand package or do i buy the boat new and source a good second hand motor or do i get a second hand boat and a new motor i will look around for one to view i have a budget for the a boat package of £3000 but can go to £5500 in june so im in no hurry as long as it is soon lol andy
If you have 5500 to play with. You will get a nice fully equiped boat for that money!

·
Banned
820 Posts
i have to agree as well a great little boat very stable at rest would prefer a higher free board tho regards steve
Hi Steve I know you had a Hog. I think we may have posted on that subject in the past. The Shortie is a bit higher on the sides than the Hunter versions. Not sure it makes a lot of difference though. A good set of rails is essential I think. My own ones are a low set and while they look neat a higher set would make me happier.

I do lash myself to the wheel Captain Ahab style (safety line) in lumpy water though. :boat:

Don't be put off gs425e that was only a joke!:)

Hey! Here is a surprise the wind has died down at long last and me and my lad are going out fishing tomorrow! :clap3:

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi many thanks for your advice i will try to get out and about at the weekend i will have a look around the brighton marina and go along to newhaven and look around and pop into simpsons and will then ride along to eastbourne i need to give my bike project (1984GSX550) a run so i can kill two birds with one stone so to speak any thing i should look out for as i had it in my mind that i should be looking for a boat of 17ft plus so a 15ft boat is something i did not consider by it might be a better proposition on my own many thanks i will get there at some point cheers andy

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hi i will try to look at an orkney will add it to my list of possibles. cheers andy

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have a Mayland 18 http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j197/Mayland/Boat/boatontrailer.jpg it is a bit 'boxy' as mentioned & is perfect for river estuary & inshore fishing.But I also use it just for pottering about on with family.For pure fishing then go with the advice others have given.But see if you can cadge a trip in the type of boat you want.Just to see if it 'feels' right when in use.Steve

·
In A World Of His Own
2,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hi thanks for tha advice but i do like the look of the mayland just a quick question is it possible t get a road test sort of thing in boats from dealers just like you would do buying a car cheers andy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts