World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys I am changing my boat in the next few months & would appreciate your input in helping me decide.
At present I have a 17ft centre console. The boat is great, handles a fair sea, goes really well with a 60hp Yamaha on the back, is economical & is easy to launch & retrieve. The only downside I find is the lack of deckspace due to the centre console & large almost full width seat behind it.
For this reason I am looking at buying a used cuddy around 18ft. The boats I am thinking of are Commodore, Raider 18 Cuddy & Powerglide 535 ( I"ve discounted the Warrior 175 as to costly ) My budget is £8-9k.
Any opinions on the above boats or suggestions of other options in this size would be greatly appreciated. I must say that at present I am being strongly drawn to the Powerglide, which although an older design seems very practical & robust.
Thanks
headlight

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Morning guys I am changing my boat in the next few months & would appreciate your input in helping me decide.
At present I have a 17ft centre console. The boat is great, handles a fair sea, goes really well with a 60hp Yamaha on the back, is economical & is easy to launch & retrieve. The only downside I find is the lack of deckspace due to the centre console & large almost full width seat behind it.
For this reason I am looking at buying a used cuddy around 18ft. The boats I am thinking of are Commodore, Raider 18 Cuddy & Powerglide 535 ( I"ve discounted the Warrior 175 as to costly ) My budget is £8-9k.
Any opinions on the above boats or suggestions of other options in this size would be greatly appreciated. I must say that at present I am being strongly drawn to the Powerglide, which although an older design seems very practical & robust.
Thanks
headlight
The powerglide,is the most well built,but if you want space,the 18 cuddy has a huge deck,never been out on a commodore,but have seen a few,the deck is very narrow,may fish 2ok,but a 3rd will be cramped.But im sure Tom will be along to say,DONT GET A RAIDER!!

G

·
Amazing as it seems, Johns answers are making some sense these days!
The Powerglide, if you can find one, is a superb boat for it's size, but does have some oddities such as a very unusual anchoring arrangement and doesn't have the most deckspace due to moulded seating and such like.
The Commodore is a respected make and will do fine, but won't offer anything more on space than the Powerglide and the Powerglide is the better boat on the water.
The Raider will offer acres of space, but won't touch the Powerglide on build and handling.

One last question....
What centre console do you have?
The whole point of a centre console is supposed to be the vast all round deckspace only impeded by a small console rather than a big cuddy.
Anyone who lure fishes or drift fishes will love the allround space offered by them.
An angler who spends most of his time at anchor, particularly in the winter will, of course, prefer the weather protection offered by a full cuddy or pilot house.

I love centre consoles, but you do need to learn to use the all round space rather than just the small bit behind the helm.

Tom

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
The Powerglide, if you can find one, is a superb boat for it's size, but does have some oddities such as a very unusual anchoring arrangement and doesn't have the most deckspace due to moulded seating and such like.
The Commodore is a respected make and will do fine, but won't offer anything more on space than the Powerglide and the Powerglide is the better boat on the water.
The Raider will offer acres of space, but won't touch the Powerglide on build and handling.

One last question....
The whole point of a centre console is supposed to be the vast all round deckspace only impeded by a small console rather than a big cuddy.
Anyone who lure fishes or drift fishes will love the allround space offered by them.
An angler who spends most of his time at anchor, particularly in the winter will, of course, prefer the weather protection offered by a full cuddy or pilot house.

I love centre consoles, but you do need to learn to use the all round space rather than just the small bit behind the helm.

Tom
A pity Eua dont make any centre consoles!...........oh,they do!!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
PLLLLEEEAAASSSSEEE don't accuse me of trying to sell Headlight one. He owns one already! I was asking if he had truly exploited the boats superb potential!
Im not!!i was looking at a 2002 625,115 suzuki,£11000!bargain!

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
hello headlight

I have at this moment in time got 3 boats in mind one is an eua the other two are the new shetland sheltie from seahog boats and the other is the powerglide 535

will be making my mind up probably early next year as i will be having a copletely new package

but i must say i do like the new sheltie but i think the powerglide will take a slightly bigger engine and that might swing it just

as i am looking at a 115 engine

ETEC

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

One last question....

Tom
The boat I have now is an old 17ft Flying Fox. I bought it for lure fishing & drifting for Bass for which it is brilliant. It has a collapsable pram cuddy at the front which if you put it down gives a lot more space. However I have found since buying it that I am doing more & more fishing at anchor & with the windy/rough weather we have had this summer I tend to leave the cuddy up to give some protection. In this configuration space is limited when bringing big fish onboard such as Tope & Congers.

headlight

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello headlight

I have at this moment in time got 3 boats in mind one is an eua the other two are the new shetland sheltie from seahog boats and the other is the powerglide 535

will be making my mind up probably early next year as i will be having a copletely new package

but i must say i do like the new sheltie but i think the powerglide will take a slightly bigger engine and that might swing it just

as i am looking at a 115 engine

ETEC
Hi ETEC,
I have spoken to Rod Baker at Powerglide he recommends engines upto 100hp on the 535 & says you will still get 20kts cruising & 28kts flat out from a 60 hp. I am looking at 90 hp 2 stroke which he claims will give nearly 40kts in calm seas.

headlight

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Hi ETEC,
I have spoken to Rod Baker at Powerglide he recommends engines upto 100hp on the 535 & says you will still get 20kts cruising & 28kts flat out from a 60 hp. I am looking at 90 hp 2 stroke which he claims will give nearly 40kts in calm seas.

headlight
Cant see a 90hp,making a heavy boat like the powerglide do 40knots!on there website,it says twin 60hp,give speeds upto 40knots,with the right prop

G

·
Rod is a very good boat builder.
But his performance figures are often a little out.
We were told that with twin Iveco 280's we'd get over 30knots possibly 32knots from Troms Explorer and at a cruise speed of 25knots we'd get 600+ miles from the tanks.

We get a fraction under 25 knots tops and about 420 miles at a 20 to 21 knot cruise.

His boats are very well built, but take the figures with a pinch of salt.
At a guess a 60Hp will top out at about 25knots and the 90 at about 32 or 33 knots.

The actual figures are still impressive, just not quite the miracles quoted.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cant see a 90hp,making a heavy boat like the powerglide do 40knots!on there website,it says twin 60hp,give speeds upto 40knots,with the right prop
The Powerglide isn"t heavy congeraider. It"s lighter than the Raider 18 Cuddy - 600kgs.

headlight

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
The Powerglide isn"t heavy congeraider. It"s lighter than the Raider 18 Cuddy - 600kgs.

headlight
Chirst,that is light,certainly looks well built,with a 80hp,with 18pitch prop,mine tops out 32knots,2 up,with gear,so with a 90,maybe get 35??

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chirst,that is light,certainly looks well built,with a 80hp,with 18pitch prop,mine tops out 32knots,2 up,with gear,so with a 90,maybe get 35??
I was surprised with the weight figure! If it"s correct 90hp & a 19" pitch stainless should give 35-36kts. I"m not that concerned with the flat out speed to be honest but it"s nice to know it"s there sometimes.
The only thing that is a minor concern ( it is only minor ) is that the freeboard is only 22" which is less than on my present boat.

headlight

·
Registered
4,053 Posts

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
last time i spoke to sea hog they still didnt know what price but it is suspected to be launched at any time

but when i can get to have a look at one i will be doing and if the price is ok then i think it will be my new one hopefully in time for next years meet

ETEC

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Thanks
headlight

Hi Headlight,

I though you had settled on the Raider? You almost had me thinking on one too. Checkout the posts that are around on the stability. That got me thinking differently about it too. That Powerglide looks nice though but it is low? Someone on here has one I think in a yellow colour?

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Can't see it with twin 60s either-twins are the equivalent to a lot less HP than the sum of numbers.

To put their claims into context my 5.4m RIB will only JUST make 40 knots with a 90 when very lightly loaded in flat calm and that weighs 326kg dry and is running a 21" prop.

40 knots feels BLOODY fast though. Even with dirty great shock absorbers round the side and a deep V hull it's hard work going above 35 for any length of time.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts