World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not much fishing been going on recently so decided to have a 24 hour trip to orford to blow the cobwebs away and wet some lines:clap2: I had been looking forward to it all week.:clap2:

Myself, Ivacodon and a mate headed over on the Sat morning boat with Pete, packed up and baited up for a 24 hour mission.

It started slowly but Ivacodon set the pace with a fish a cast for much of the morning, mostly small stuff but a couple of sizable. Lots of small fish through out the day with a number of sizable codling coming to Ivacodon and a couple to me by the early evening..

I opted for VERY big baits from the early evening, with quick success. The sizable codling were about and we had a good few between us. Lots of experimenting going on between us with rigs, baits, distances - it all became a bit of a science....but good fun.

A big tap in the early hours on the rod with the two hook flapper got me moving but i thought I had missed it...about 5 mins later another knock got me up with a slack liner...after an eternity (my arm was killing) i was blessed with a double shot, one fish around 2.5Lb the other around 4Lb...i think they would have heard me in aldeburgh !:clap2: :clap2:

anyway....more luck came my way. big bait experimentation took its hold, i was whipping 3 squid and around half a dozen big lug onto a pulley pennel, launched as far as I could.

The next big knock took an age to land and lady luck was smiling on me, a bit of a scuffle in the surf presented a great fish around 6-7LB.

To cut a long story short, we both continued to have sizeable and loads of small ones for most of the night, Ivacodon must get the most interesting catches award, with starfish and a doggie...and an award for tea making, it kept me alive.

Just started packing up around 7am sunday, kneeling at my tripod picking up bits, looked up and saw my line on the left rod moving uptide...another long retreive having to stop a few times with the rod tip kicking hard and my biggest cod ever came through the surf...another fine fish around 7LB.

I'll try and get the pics off my phone as the camera had died.

All in all a fantastic night, great company and steady, but enjoyable fishing.

if your planning a trip take plenty of bait, we ripped through the best part of a 5kg box of squid between 3 (6 rods) and around 650 worms. big baits will get you big fish, they are there..!!!

pete sais to still go over, i'll be out there for a few more trips in april...you just have to get through the tiddlers.

the ebb fished best, and night presented the better fish. all ranges, all sizes, you can find em'..

final tally Tom (10 sizable) Rich aka Ivacodon (7) most fish in the 2-4lb bracket.

cant wait for the next trip....!:)

tom

ps added pics now so hopefully this will work, not many taken as the camera was dead so used the phone on the odd occasion my fingers were clean.

oh and forgot to mention, a second award for "orford sausages" was required as dale managed against all odds to knock up sausage sandwiches in the early hours.
pics should give you an idea of the fish that were coming in.

T

Attachments

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Wow! Sounds like a great session. Hurry up with the pictures!

Stu

·
Registered
24 Posts
And there was me getting ready to tie some 1/0's for Saturday! I think the big hooks will be coming out now!

Great catch and write-up by the way Tom. You've given me hope of finding a sizeable fish. Obviously this means I will now blank.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Nice one Tom and Ivor Have planed a t trip my self soon so now I can't wait.It's good to have a good possitive report from a mark you're about to fish
Spratty:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Well done Tommy,

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
well done tommy nice to see some one have a good session over there,

and to catch some cracking fish, we were over there on friday and it was crap.

but as we all know it can turn around in just one tide let alone in 24 hrs so well done mate.

glad some one else uses big baits i have for ages and it will work but you just have to be patiant and wait for the bigger fish to move through

·
Registered
942 Posts
Nice one Tom :clap2: :clap2:
I should have given work a miss mate when you asked and joined you, seemed like it was well worth it.

I'll be over there in a couple of weeks, hopefully you have left some fish for us mere mortals. :notworthy

Let me know when you plan your next trip I think I'll join you mate.. I'm looking to go 2nd week of April.

Fisher

·
Registered
27 Posts
well done tommyk i was on the boat sat morning with 3 others we went to the narrows as i think you did we had two take homes between us best about 4lb and loads of small stuff interesting the 4lb fish was caught on 5/6 lug tipped with squid. good fishing tight lines:notworthy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi guys, hopefully attached the pics now (the few we had) as no flash on my phone etc...

Fisher - I almost gave you a mention in the report but didnt want to rub it in mate, you should have been with us.

Codrod - yip we hit the narrows mate, must have been in the same boat.

Hogster - It was your big bait tips (and pic) that gave me the idea to go big mate, nice one.

tightlines T

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
well done mate glad it worked for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts