World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all just a reminder that this year event is 18 th sept all details are in the meets section, all updates will be doen on first post to save trolling through to get info, cheers in advance

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump lol , hi again all , anyone else interested in coming over even for a day session ????? need to know by weekend at latest so i can arrange parking etc ive been given some vouchers for helpers to enjoy a nice pint of adnams as a thankyou :drunk: :drunk:

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi James
work has prevented me from coming along on this one, I just wanted to say good luck I hope the fish are biting.
Touch of Northerly this weekend so you may even see an early codling or two. (my fingers are firmly crossed for you on that front).

I also wanted to say well done on continuing with this massive effort, (anyone that has been on these cleanups will know what i mean), despite the low turnout any rubbish collected will go along way to keeping this stretch of beach open for Anglers to enjoy.
So on behalf of an angler that frequently uses the Cod mecca Orford I thankyou again James and to those that turnout for this one.:notworthy
May the Adnams be plenty!!

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi James
work has prevented me from coming along on this one, I just wanted to say good luck I hope the fish are biting.
Touch of Northerly this weekend so you may even see an early codling or two. (my fingers are firmly crossed for you on that front).

I also wanted to say well done on continuing with this massive effort, (anyone that has been on these cleanups will know what i mean), despite the low turnout any rubbish collected will go along way to keeping this stretch of beach open for Anglers to enjoy.
So on behalf of an angler that frequently uses the Cod mecca Orford I thankyou again James and to those that turnout for this one.:notworthy
May the Adnams be plenty!!
cheers fisher sorry you cant make it, work is such a nasty thing lol, been hard work this one time is always limited now im doing training to work in a different area , lets hope as you say the fish will play ball this year

·
Registered
170 Posts
People should clear their own [email protected] up, if you keep cleaning it up then that will become the norm and nobody will learn to take it home.

I'm not a grumpy old man, trust me... but I'm not clearing other peoples mess up, especially at my own expense and they're adults!!!!!!!

Pete should make a rule that unless he see's a rubbish bag coming off the 'ness with the fisherman then he doesn't pick them up.

That will focus their attention.

If you continue to clear their [email protected] up you'll be making a rod for your own back, you need to attack it at source - maybe bang a sign in at the crouch & narrows explaining the fact. Maybe Pete can invest in a roll of bin liners and give one each as the people get off, that might act as a gentle reminder????

just a couple of ideas???

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People should clear their own [email protected] up, if you keep cleaning it up then that will become the norm and nobody will learn to take it home.

I'm not a grumpy old man, trust me... but I'm not clearing other peoples mess up, especially at my own expense and they're adults!!!!!!!

Pete should make a rule that unless he see's a rubbish bag coming off the 'ness with the fisherman then he doesn't pick them up.

That will focus their attention.

If you continue to clear their [email protected] up you'll be making a rod for your own back, you need to attack it at source - maybe bang a sign in at the crouch & narrows explaining the fact. Maybe Pete can invest in a roll of bin liners and give one each as the people get off, that might act as a gentle reminder????

just a couple of ideas???
hi ,clothbag whole heartedly agree with what your saying , problem is there will always be the few.thatwill ruin it for others, the ness is a nature reserve and therefore can and will if not looked after be shut down to people fishing from it. i know some take boats accross so it will be diffucult to enforcefully but majority get petes ferry accross, bone of contention and has been for years as to getting pete to get rubbish collected, as with everything it isnt that simple, we took on the island to show we do care and to protect the chance to fish from the island.

human nature is in some sod it someone else can clear it up,,,,,,, its a shame but as with anything someone along the line has ot do it, an idea was suggested to have rubbish bins but the numptys who dont give two hoots would probbly set fire to it or dump it in the river, then the other issue of who collects it, again red tape council against river authority against planning office against national trust recipee for meetings and twiddling thumbs to shift responsibbility

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Banglemouse...

I agree with you also, but (and I teach these kind of things) you can't keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. We have to concentrate on fixing it at source.

The bin idea won't work for the reasons you mentioned, we have to reinforce the issue of being responsible, and I see that being the responsibility of us (the fisherman) and also the person running the ferry.

If the authorities stop us going over there, then he won't have any Winter business from the fisherman. I'm not sure what that means in terms of money, but I would rather have it than not have it.

No bin liner full of [email protected], no ferry back - or at least go back and get your [email protected] Think how you would feel if the boat was full and you had to go back and get your rubbish with the rest of the boat cussing you because you're causing their delay.

You would only do it once!

Let's make it happen, it's within our power...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi Banglemouse...

I agree with you also, but (and I teach these kind of things) you can't keep doing the same thing and expect a different outcome. We have to concentrate on fixing it at source.

The bin idea won't work for the reasons you mentioned, we have to reinforce the issue of being responsible, and I see that being the responsibility of us (the fisherman) and also the person running the ferry.

If the authorities stop us going over there, then he won't have any Winter business from the fisherman. I'm not sure what that means in terms of money, but I would rather have it than not have it.

No bin liner full of [email protected], no ferry back - or at least go back and get your [email protected] Think how you would feel if the boat was full and you had to go back and get your rubbish with the rest of the boat cussing you because you're causing their delay.

You would only do it once!

Let's make it happen, it's within our power...
Hi Clothbag

I agree it should be attacked at source , fistly though, this cleanup has been going now for 3-4 years and I believe due to this alot of Anglers have sat up and now take thier rubbish home, every year the cleanup takes place we all say how much less angling crap is left. Yes you still get the numpties that refuse to take note but on the whole i believe its got better. Thanks to the Clean up volunteers!!

Secondly Pete is not responsible for other people, if they cannot be bothered to bring their crap home the owness should not be put on Pete, he has already gone further then should be expected, he has put up a sign at the Crouch landing and the Narrows asking people to bring their rubbish home. There are also many people that make their own way onto the island using their own craft, I'm not insuating they all leave their rubbish but just to demonstrate that Pete is not the only person with access to Orfordness.
Sadly as much as I understand why you would not volunteer to clean " other peoples rubbish" on OrfordNess it really is required.
The last cleanup event I attended most of the rubbish was either commercial netting or general rubbish washed up on the beach very little was Anglers rubbish.

I am a firm believer in taking your own rubbish home and attempting to educate those that i see who feel they can just throw it where they fish but there will always be those that cannot be arsed to take their rubbish away with them.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts

If you continue to clear their [email protected] up you'll be making a rod for your own back, you need to attack it at source.
Are you for real Clothbag or is this a wind-up?

You don't like litter yet you refuse to pick up other peoples. Why? Do you honestly think it will make them clear up their own? If no-one picks it up it will only get worse. Some people do things in life others don't.

How do you suggest we attack it at source? Get Stella to produce biodegradeable beer cans and have squid packets that rot down in 7 days. I'm afraid you won't educate the litter louts.

Your bin bag idea is good and there is a sign up at the Crouch but it shouldn't be down to Pete to enforce it.
We need Orford Ness Litter Police. On the spot fines perhaps.:busted_co:clap:

I've done several beach cleans and it is an important gesture that just may help secure the fishing on the Ness for years to come. Yes there is a considerable amount of angling-related rubbish (in the busy cod season) but also a lot that is chucked off the ships before they enter the local ports.

It is also a fact that we are encountering less rubbish on the beach cleans than we used to. Proof that it does help.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
We often find rubbish washed up from ships and the general rubbish that comes ashore, yes there is anglers rubbish which is annoying, one year we found the rear axle of a small car several wheels and tyres and a distress becon from a ship. I do it to show support for a good cause i know it's a former mod site and there is iron work and rubbish left from the decaying buildings but if i can help clear i will. I've also met some great blokes that i'd like to think of as friends

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
also in the dips as you cross the ness we have picked up countless boxes of broken glass and there's still loads there. Some of it looks very old.

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
I do it cos its nice to get out to Suffolk and be amongst nice people. When Concrete and co did an actual survey, angling rubbish was well down the list. Plastic bottles were way up the top, most blown and washed in from elsewhere. We even found a message in a bottle a couple of years ago from a little girl living in a village just up the river. If you want to stop rubbish at source, nuking Southwold and Aldeburgh would be a starting point, or perhaps enforcement from the authorities, seeing as littering is illegal and all that...........:crazy:
However, I wont be doing this one cos I have a client booked in, and so close to rockling time I need every job I can get. Good luck guys, see you for the spring clean in spring.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Gotta take my hat off to you guys,me n a pal regularly fish the narrows and we always take black bags over not only to clear our own but other ppls and i agree a lot of it isnt fishing related rubbish,ie lots of plastic bottles coming off boats n ships etc but we can do our bit,and we do and want to carry on fishing the island for many years into the future,if i see anyone leaving rubbish behind them then they will be reported,that i promise you,and i know of several ppl who fish over there quite a bit.
Good luck with the clean & fishing next week guys :D

Off to Thorpeness tonight again report will follow tomorrow.....

·
Registered
252 Posts
For me the beach cleans are the only time I get to beach fish, apart from on our annual holidays. Coming from land locked Cambridge the cleans provide an incentive and opportunity to book the use of the family car and get away for the weekend with another local fishing buddy, and long may it remain so.

Do I want to clean other peoples cr*p up .. no not really, I'd much rather them clear up after themselves. However, social attitudes take time to alter, educating young anglers (by bringing them on cleans) is the best way to go IMHO, but refusing to do anything will get us nowhere. I don't know if you've really thought your stance on this out. If you are concerned for OUR environment, I'm afraid you have to DO SOMETHING, not just offer some excuses why you’re not prepared to help. The old saying "if you’re not part of the solution, then you’re part of the problem" comes to mind.

Oh, and if your "if you clean it - then others will leave their litter for you" theory was correct, then there would have been no reason to have started the cleans in the first place, would there? The sad fact is that there are always going to be a few inconsiderate buggers, but they will be over shadowed in the bigger picture by those conscientious anglers that are seen by the authorities turning out for such events to tackle the problem themselves.

So, I hope you think of us next Saturday, we'll be the ones cleaning the venue to keep it open for those anglers who won't stoop to litter picking or taking their own litter home!

Peter
Cambridge

P.S. I also like the fact I get FREE 24 HOUR PARKING, a FREE or REDUCED FERRY CROSSING FEE, and the chance to meet up again with a great bunch of lads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts