World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pete dropped me at the crouch yesterday afternoon about 4.30pm so i could fish the night.

Strong current and wind made bite detection hard at times. Fished the tide up, HT was about 1.30am and then down, picked up about 8.45am.

Bait, mixture of lug, squid and mackerel an a 1 hook, 5/0 clip down.

Fish came and went in waves, (no pun intended).

Plenty of Doggies and a smattering of undersize Whiting and Codling.

No smoothhounds (Pete put it down to highly coloured water, they like it clearer), and Bass were elusive.

Had several really hard bites that resulted in nothing but shredded bait.

Largest Codling was a 3.5 pounder which gave the tinyest of bites but fought like hell in the strong current. Towards the end bites tailed off so decided to experiment to use up bait and dropped one about 10 yds out which immediately picked up a codling if 1/2 pound.

Total caught:
Doggies 12 from real tiddlers to 1.5 poundish
Whiting 4 largest 3/4 pound
Codling 5 largest 3.5 pounds

Knackered now but a reasonable night.:)

·
Registered
110 Posts
well sounds as if you had an enjoyable time even though the wind was a bit of a problem as it can be if theres some East in it Hi.
I've found in the past that often the little blighters are just under your nose!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Hi john doesn't sound as you had a bad nights fishing.no record breakers,but a good nights sport all the same
good report:clap3: :clap3:
Spratty:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
well done again :D only the one sizeable codling mate? or did you have any more?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only one sizeable, the other 4 were about half a pound. Main thing is i didn't blank

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
You did better than me mate, me steve and my brother got there for 07:30 start, between the three of us we had 3 sizeable doggies 1 sizeable whiting and 6 codling all undersize.
Steve T only had the whiting, but this could have been due to the fact he was asleep for 21/2 hours.
we found loads of pipefish washed up on the beach and quite a few hermit crabs.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Sharkey, Pete said he'd dropped you at the narrows, i was up at the crouch.

I think this time of year nights are best if you can manage them from what i can tell. Dozed off a couple of times myself whilst watching the rod without realising it.

3.5lb nearly missed, was dealing with a doggie on one rod and noticed a small nod on the other Rod, was only lip hooked so very lucky.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts