World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well took the girls out for a little bash of orford just to see if i could get any mackkyies, but water was turn cloudy but did take some left over rag, a few crabs and some squid and blacks just to have a fish.

went out to our usual mark 4 miles off orford whilst the wind was quiet. it wasnt electric but debbie did get 4 doggies and a 5lb smoothy so another spieces under her belt.

smoothy duley dispatched as she loves to eat them plus the hook gauged out its inner gills so onther one for tea.

done saome drifting over the bar for some bass on the way in but had nothing.

but did go to a wreck whilst we were out there and found it first time so the garmin software seems good. it was only a small wreck and had bugger all on it.

all in all a good day although we was only out for a couple of hours and cara came along to do some groudbaiting , poor girl.

and buy the way cara did have a auto lifejacket on , its under ere coat as it was raining.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Well done - looks like they're enjoying themselves!
Is that an Orkney you have there? Appears very similar in the cuddy to my previous boat, a Fastliner 19.
ATB

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes mate a 14 ft coast liner

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hi m8

I remember with great happiness the times out on my Dads boats, seeing your two and their grins makes me think I need to invest in one (a boat) and treat my nippers to the same experience.

FF

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
well done, not bad for a couple of hours, a lot better than the stour at the moment

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Well done mate, good to see you had a few out there, still seems slow compared to last year, I'm thinking about going at the weekend, Saturday looks best at the minute, if you fancy another run out?

AL ..

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi al dont no when i can go at the minute as the hog is dead at the moment and need to rebuild the engine and get it fitted for mini in the park on the 17th.

but the outer marks seem to be a bit better than the inner ones.

north or mid in the deep water next to the bank seems to be the best spot.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
hi al dont no when i can go at the minute as the hog is dead at the moment and need to rebuild the engine and get it fitted for mini in the park on the 17th.

but the outer marks seem to be a bit better than the inner ones.

north or mid in the deep water next to the bank seems to be the best spot.
Righty ho mate, no worries, just gimme a shout when you're out again and i'll try to make it.

Weathers changed again for saturday anyway, I'm beginning to wonder if the met office has lost the ability to forecast the weather for more than 4 hours in advance.

AL ..

G

·
Yep looks like its the offshore marks in the Felistowe area as well. Talking to an owner this morning, he went on Sunday, nothing in the river worth the trouble! He ventured out to the Towers yesterday (Tues) had a few snoothies and roka, but aparently it was rough! He's new to boats, just had a brand new 26ft 'Seamark' built :blink: very keen!!! :clap3:

So, I'm keeping an eye on the weather for the weekend, however, not holding out much hope. I have finished the Radar roof stand, now a couple or three coats of teak oil, I will probably be instaling it and the radar in stead:yeah:

Here you go, one 'Iroko' (poor mans teak :mellow:) radar suport ready for oiling and bolting down.

Not the most exciting picture in the world . . . but I aint cought any fish recently, not even any small bass that I can be lambasted for:hammer::laugh:

I will get some fishing in this year . . . I will . . .:crazy:

ET's OPO :icecream:

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
looks good et opo. i think the coloured water in the stour has killed it for now. same as the ore.

all i can say is roll on the cod, but it only seems to minutes ago i caught my last tail enders, just hope they come in early.

G

·
all i can say is roll on the cod, but it only seems to minutes ago i caught my last tail enders, just hope they come in early.

:clap3: Yes I will be glad of the cod as well. Although, last year the whiting were good fun, often coming in well over the 1lb mark, and a few 2 pound plus! So we might have some early action? Use the light 12lb Suveran boat rod, great feel with the smaller fish, but has some backbone under preasure from a larger fish.

Because the fish localy have reduced in size over recent years . . . I remember the days when 8-10 poundrs were normal, and 12-15 pounds was not unusual. My choise to use the 12lb Suveran 7'9" boat rod in the winter is almost all the time now. Ocasionaly turning to the more conventional uptider, more out of 'keeping the hand in' and the pleasure of using particular uptide blanks. The fine tip and progresive mid/through action in the Suveran has proved to be a perfect all pupose tool.

All that said . . . Hazel has to go into hospital for sugery soon? still doing tests, but its more a mater of knowing exactly what is being delt with as there are three associated issues, but it will certainly be this year! Then 6 weeks converless, which means, I will probably be a bit tied to home for some of the time:unsure: But, hay-ho, thats life, 'for better or for worse' . . .

I'm sure I will get some time out, Hazel is not demanding, neaver has been :wub: We will just have to look forward to next year and make up for lost time . . . :g: that was suposed to be this year making up for 2005-6-7!!! best laid plans and all that:blink:

Something to look forward to :huh::cc_surren ET's OPO

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
hope everything goes well with Hazel mate,

G

·
hope everything goes well with Hazel mate,
Thank you, everything crossed!! :dry: You know wha these docs are like these days. The procedures are normal, do them all the time, and yet they become 'drama queens', "this could go wrong, then there is that, and of course it could be" . . . etc etc . . . sign this waver form . . .

I/we say, Hazel has a problem, it needs fixing, please get on and do it so we can get on with our lives . . . ah, yes says the doc., but we do have to point out the bad points . . . :doh:

ET's OPO

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hope everything goes well with hazel.

back to rods i juts use a waveblaster uptide and a ron thompson 288 uptider funny enough for down tiding and a mustard vicking quiver for uptiding its brill as it shows the slightest interst of a fish which some times uptiding with uptiders doesnt show .

i like the extra length for casting to get the bait awayfrom the boat.

some times uptide with 2 and down tide with one, found that to be a good way to.

i put the smaller viking realy uptide but close to the boat and the bigger uptider abeam of the boat but further out to avoid tankles. seems to work a treat.

G

·
hope everything goes well with hazel.

back to rods i juts use a waveblaster uptide and a ron thompson 288 uptider funny enough for down tiding and a mustard vicking quiver for uptiding its brill as it shows the slightest interst of a fish which some times uptiding with uptiders doesnt show .

i like the extra length for casting to get the bait awayfrom the boat.

some times uptide with 2 and down tide with one, found that to be a good way to.

i put the smaller viking realy uptide but close to the boat and the bigger uptider abeam of the boat but further out to avoid tankles. seems to work a treat.
I use three rods on my own, start with one uptide, one accross and one down, nearly always end up with two 'cast' down tide and one at 45 degrees across/down tide, depends on tide flow of course. I dont have any problems casting the 7'9" Suverans. I did a field test a couple of years back, The 12lb Suveran consistantly cast 40+ paces, well over 40 yards. I am happy with that, in the same test, my Ambassador uptider 'DTB reel position' did 50 paces, the suprise was an 8'6" Conoflex Trilogy 6lb, that outcast the lot at 54 paces.

Loads of veriables, not scientific, although I was using 2 Abu 700, and a 6500 rocket on the Suveran, I got fed up with people saying how far they could cast. They are not 'JC' so do not pace out on water. This test gave me an idea that 40 to 50 yards was practical, from a boat with a safe overhead thump. Now when someone tells me he can hit the horizon from his mates 16ft Orkney, or does 100 yards + from the local charter boat, I can smile nowingly:sneaky2:

At the end of the day, it dont matter if we use a garden cain and cotton reel! The fish is not fussed, its what the angler likes, wants, can afford and feels happy with. :g:There are a lot of rods and reels out there to 'catch anglers' . . . dont you think, and then there are the tackle tarts . . . :clap2:

ET's OPO

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The fish is not fussed, its what the angler likes, wants, can afford and feels happy with. :g:There are a lot of rods and reels out there to 'catch anglers' . . . dont you think, and then there are the tackle tarts . . . :clap2:

ET's OPO
i do agree with that a lot .....a lot of anglers caught with hype, my boat rods have all come from that auction site so i have got what i consider a good rod at a good price, if i were just buying from a shop then i probably would have to slide down the range to fit my budget. i have just got an abu trigger grip toothpick to go with my baitcaster reel, £10 inc. delivery...so light but so enjoyable when a fish is on. i also have the Fox challenger uptider's retail at around £100 but picked them up for £40 each, a good all round uptider with good bite detection and plenty of power to fight a good fish

G

·
i do agree with that a lot .....a lot of anglers caught with hype, my boat rods have all come from that auction site so i have got what i consider a good rod at a good price, if i were just buying from a shop then i probably would have to slide down the range to fit my budget. i have just got an abu trigger grip toothpick to go with my baitcaster reel, £10 inc. delivery...so light but so enjoyable when a fish is on. i also have the Fox challenger uptider's retail at around £100 but picked them up for £40 each, a good all round uptider with good bite detection and plenty of power to fight a good fish
I have to admit, money these days is getting tight!!! I'd realy like to splash a little on some new tackle, I read these new offereings, and how much better they are than a model $$XX!!! brand?? However precticality says I have at least half a dozen verious rods that I enjoy using, I have double that are not to my personal tast but perfectly good, :)idea: must put them up for sale? its the agro of posting!!). I have similar in reels, although no spare, unless you count my vintage reel colection :icecream:

Love toothpick drifting, have you used yours yet Smoothound? The adrenalin rush is fantastic, on any size fish, but when the 2 and 3 pounders hit, wow. A friend tells me there are some 4's and 5's in the rivers, but its finding them before the schoolies find your bait, (he was more spacific but not on here) :nonono: Whiskers has confirmed the larger fish are there, he cant catch them, they bounce off his nets, just the od one gets tangled.

ET's OPO

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yep totaly agree on the rod saga.

i started of with the 2 ron thompson 288 uptiders and found the blank to be supurb and all for £40 each, the only down side was the tip rings but i soon sorted them out, but the blanks are very good.

i then decided to treat my self to a 6-10oz penn wave blaster and found that rod alsowas supurb but i would have been depressed if i paid the full £120 for it though , in the end i paid £80 and its a very good rod but not twice as good as the 288's thats for sure.

G

·
yep totaly agree on the rod saga.

i started of with the 2 ron thompson 288 uptiders and found the blank to be supurb and all for £40 each, the only down side was the tip rings but i soon sorted them out, but the blanks are very good.

i then decided to treat my self to a 6-10oz penn wave blaster and found that rod alsowas supurb but i would have been depressed if i paid the full £120 for it though , in the end i paid £80 and its a very good rod but not twice as good as the 288's thats for sure.
Same senario for me Hogster, I bang on about my Suverans, I bought them for £79 each in a sale, one would have not paid the then RR price of £140:nonono: Same with reels, all my Abu's are second hand or sale puchases. The phrase 'cutting the cloth . . . ' comes to mind :yeah:

My Suverans will eventualy find their way to Stan at Alba rods, for a rebuild rather than buy replacements, trouble is, I'm a fusy bugger, and the nasty single leg rings are still in tact 5 years on, ho-hum.

ET's OPO

ET's OPO

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I
Love toothpick drifting, have you used yours yet Smoothound?
ET's OPO
first time with it last weekend, only a couple of very small ones but even then good fun. yes i have a few more rods too in the rafters of the garage, hardly ever use them but never think about getting rid of them, they do come in handy sometimes when i take a newbie out with no gear

weather now looks absolutely crap for the next few days so not much chance of getting out for a while

1 - 20 of 21 Posts