World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads
have just used an oriental 7000c3 I can't see that there is any difference to the swedish ones
took it to bits first to check build quality and compare with the original and found that they are identical even used a micrometer and vernier guage
there are quite a few on ebay at the minute going for silly money (50-60 pounds)
does anybody else feel the same as me or ist it tackle snobbery that the oriental ones are not as good as the swedish ones

·
Registered
308 Posts
Look at the pinion gear, check out the way it’s assembled … might go some way to explain why the Far Eastern pinion gear slip and gives the impression the reel is locking up :g:

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
i have use 7000s for 30 years and last summer a freind asked my to remove the levelwind mechanism from one of the new gold coloured ones hed brought from america.

i have stripped them down thousands of times.

i could of been a 1 off but it didnt feel right as the metals felt lighter and seemed as though they flexed more. a clip holding the levelwind mechanism was too tight a fit and had to be bent to get it in place. trying to remove the plastic cog from the end plate on an older model just meant removing a clip. on this new model i couldnt remove it as is was pressed on and solid trying to forcefully get it iff was going to bend the side plate.

a sticker on the foot with its country of assembly said it all.

i love abu rels but wont be buying a new 7000 anymore. if the 6500 go the same way then i,ll not be buying them either.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
you're right the 7000's have all been made in Taiwan for a few years now
I think the reels are still good value for money but not the quality of the swedish made ones. For £50-£60compared to all the others they are a bargain

15,082 Posts
At the price you can get them for,anyway 7500c3,7000LD,10000LD ETC ETC for less than £60.........Use them for a year and throw them away,they are a bargain and cost a £1 a week!!....I spend more than that on hooks!

Ron

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
At the price you can get them for,anyway 7500c3,7000LD,10000LD ETC ETC for less than £60.........Use them for a year and throw them away,they are a bargain and cost a £1 a week!!....I spend more than that on hooks!

Ron
good point...... andv still better than 90% of the ones on the market.

·
Registered
308 Posts

lol ... can't really argue against that answer:clap3:

·
Registered
584 Posts
Got six 7000/7500 types, all old'ish and/or bought second hand. Hope they will see me out??? Grey hair and bus pass are gaining on me very fast! lol:blink:

Picking up new 7000's, they have a light delicate feel to them, is it me, the sewing machine feel has gone? That sixth sense kicking in?? There is nothing visual, its just that feeling of a solid Abu 7000 in hand does not come over? Tell you what the 7000LD 'looks' wrong to my eye, think they have stopped making it? should think so as well!!!

Bought a new 6500 Rocket 2 years ago, that feels OK?:)

Et's OPO :fishing:

·
Registered
584 Posts

Ron
A whole £1 on hooks Ron!! a quick rub on the door step as I go out keeps em going for months . . . :sneaky2: Is that all wrong, my 'Gran' always sharpened the carving knife that way before she carved the Sunday rost :unsure:

I've been doing it wrong all these years :g: :bicycle: :marinheir :oops: Thats goint to mean tightening the purse strings :cry: :crazy: :yahoo:

ET's OPO

·
Registered
308 Posts
Without being accused of hijacking the thread due to mentioning Okuma reels :blink: ... the analogy that has been used with regards to reel pricing does ring true …

I got an Okuma Magnetix MG-20LS for £54 and that was with the postage included … it’s guaranteed for 5 years … that equates too … £10.80p for each guaranteed year of usage … can’t be bad :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts