World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, intersted in opinions of weather it is worth getting a 40hp on a 520 Orkney, as seen a lot of talk of 30hp versions not performing very well on max speed. will a 40hp perform better? or is down to the hull design? Assuming two people and angling gear on board. Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi All, intersted in opinions of weather it is worth getting a 40hp on a 520 Orkney, as seen a lot of talk of 30hp versions not performing very well on max speed. will a 40hp perform better? or is down to the hull design? Assuming two people and angling gear on board. Thanks.
hi paul. did you get any response to your question - i was thinking about upgrading to a 40hp (although the apparent max HP is supposed to be 30hp, i have seen a few 520s with a 40hp ?) Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bob, No sorry, I have now got one with a 30 mariner, 20 + knots on my own, down to about 17 knots two up, fast enough for most weather conditions anyway, not had 3 in boat yet.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hi paul. did you get any response to your question - i was thinking about upgrading to a 40hp (although the apparent max HP is supposed to be 30hp, i have seen a few 520s with a 40hp ?) Thanks, Bob
The max engine size was 35hp on the early ones, pointless as only OMC made a 35hp and they’d more or less gone bust when the 520 came out.

I have a 520 without a cuddy, it had an elderly Yamaha F30 when I got it but I upgraded to a Yamaha F40F, far better engine all round with no issues at all. I did spent a lot of time reducing the bangs and rattles from the hull - particularly the seat lids, anchor locker lower bulkhead and buoyancy blocks between the skins.

With stainless propeller boat two up I think was near 30mph on the flat and had more to give but was beginning to chine ride!
0A7052B9-2264-429B-B207-11F73F9FFB7B.png

·
Registered
24 Posts
The max engine size was 35hp on the early ones, pointless as only OMC made a 35hp and they’d more or less gone bust when the 520 came out.

I have a 520 without a cuddy, it had an elderly Yamaha F30 when I got it but I upgraded to a Yamaha F40F, far better engine all round with no issues at all. I did spent a lot of time reducing the bangs and rattles from the hull - particularly the seat lids, anchor locker lower bulkhead and buoyancy blocks between the skins.

With stainless propeller boat two up I think was near 30mph on the flat and had more to give but was beginning to chine ride!
View attachment 1232661
Many thanks - much appreciated!
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts