World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a bit of advise please guys.:)

i`m looking at a small dinghy/tender for launching on my local estuary.ive seen the dinghy mentioned on e bay last week and the size of 10`8" looked perfect for the job.considering it wont be used in extreme weathers and very close to shore but will be in fast tides (taw estuary wich i know well) would a 2.3hp ss honda 4 stroke be ideal for this size dinghy?.will it push enough through a strong spring tide if i needed it too.?

any other suggestions/recommendations of types of dinghy and engine suited will be greatfully recieved.not looking to break the bank but looked at the honda as its less than 400 notes has a 5year warranty and yearly service is 50/60 quid.need a dinghy thats easy to use,stable and can be rowed.

many thanks :)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Hi

Whilst I would suggest that an 11ft boat is a bit small but I don't know your area, however I would suggest you go for a much larger engine as tides, races etc can have a very dramatic effect of performance.
I would always go for the largest size allowed on that craft (by design) as you can always use less throttle but still have power in reserve if needed.

Just my thoughts.

Dave
:)

G

·
That egine would push the boat along at around 5 knots in fine, still conditions.
I don't know how fast your tide race is where you will be using the boat, but if it is 4 knots then you will be running in to it at 1 knot.

Many tide races can reach super speeds of up to 8 or 10 knots.
In addition to the speed of the water, tide race tend to turn up standing waves, massive under currents and so on.
Consider the conditions before putting a small boat in them.

Personally I would keep a very close eye on the conditions and use the boat during the slack periods only.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I would go for an inflatable with a slatted floor myself. Loads of reserve buoyancy, huge carry capacity for their size, 4HP engine will push them along, self fendering if you are using it as a tender, easy to store and transport and hence more secure.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That egine would push the boat along at around 5 knots in fine, still conditions.
I don't know how fast your tide race is where you will be using the boat, but if it is 4 knots then you will be running in to it at 1 knot.

Many tide races can reach super speeds of up to 8 or 10 knots.
In addition to the speed of the water, tide race tend to turn up standing waves, massive under currents and so on.
Consider the conditions before putting a small boat in them.

Personally I would keep a very close eye on the conditions and use the boat during the slack periods only.

cheers tom..thats the plan mate.sneak out with the tide and come home on it and at all times not far from land on both sides of the river.has anyone a bad thing to say about these honda engines?..reliability etc?.the main dealers up the road so servicing is ideal for me and the cost is low.plus the 5 years warranty has kind of sold it to me.all i need now is a 10/11 ft ish grp dinghy.

thanks for everyones input.:)

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Hi wilky, if my hazy recollection of the taw is right it gets pretty turbulent and very fast flowing where it hits the torridge and the sea. I would recommend something at least 12-14ft with at least an 8hp-15hp. If you just wanna fish inside the river than 10ft 4hp is ideal but if you wanna hit those cod pits with a buddy at least you have that option and added safety going for the bigger set up. I have a 14ft shetland with 25hp and go out of the teign and exe regularly and feel totally safe even on the biggest springs, its just a bit concerning sometimes to see a smaller boat/engine struggle against the tides. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi wilky, if my hazy recollection of the taw is right it gets pretty turbulent and very fast flowing where it hits the torridge and the sea. I would recommend something at least 12-14ft with at least an 8hp-15hp. If you just wanna fish inside the river than 10ft 4hp is ideal but if you wanna hit those cod pits with a buddy at least you have that option and added safety going for the bigger set up. I have a 14ft shetland with 25hp and go out of the teign and exe regularly and feel totally safe even on the biggest springs, its just a bit concerning sometimes to see a smaller boat/engine struggle against the tides. Just my opinion though.

good advice,the taw/torridge is one of the fastest tidal systems in the country.i`m now going for the 5hp honda,big price jump and twice as heavy but no point compromising safety for cost.got my eye on a nice grp clinker on ebay

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
As an estuary boat the 13ft Dell Quay Dory is a good boat, they will pop along with a big enough engine, but are quite happy to "poodle" about with a small motor on them. Double skinned so virtually unsinkable, brilliantly stable at anchor but a bit noisy underway, they can slap in a short chop. You can get a pull-up spray dodger for them at some boat jumbles, makes them even better, you have to make sure they dont have water between the skins though!;)
blueskip

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use a 11 ft RIB/Dinghy with a 15hp 2 Stroke inshore around Hurst and Lymington, i Don't know your area but i'd always advise the use of a larger engine (boat permiting) in stong tidal areas...

The boats smaller than I'd ideally like, but suits our current storeage and transport needs... the motor should do us well for our next couple of boats and we've never had a problem with tides etc...

FYI most 9hp are the same as 15hp's just restricted (so just as heavy!)

Good luck matey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts