World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning

I'm new to the forum, just saying hello and will be looking for some advice going forward.

I've been using a 3.3m Excel SIB for about 2-3 years now. Its been great for a bit of fishing and a few coastal day trips around Pembrokeshire for myself, wife and daughter.
However we're due another little one so wanted to get something a little bigger, so after some research I've purchased an Orkney Coastliner 2 (2017) with Tohatsu 20HP outboard.

This will be my first (proper boat) if you know what I mean
I'm so used to using my SIB, its light, I keep it in a dingy park and move it around on transom wheels and I can place the outboard in the boot of my car and flush it when I get home everytime I use it.

The Orkney although still a light boat will be a different way of going about things. What I'd like some advice on is:-

Road Trailering. I have a road trailer (I'd be using it to launch and 200m run to dinghy park) Any Tips, links to good sites. I've never done it
Anchoring. I have a 2kg Bruce with 6m of chain + rope (From SIB) (I'm assuming this won't be big enough for the Coastliner?). Any Anchoring tips
Flushing Outboard. It's a fixed outboard. Do you flush everytime you use the boat? What is the easiest methods?
Deck of Boat. I've read on here that the floor can get quite wet and people having issues with water sloshing about. Any advice on what to do? Mats, bilge pumps?
General Maintenance. What do I need to do over the winter period when my boat is on my drive/garage? Anything I need to keep an eye on?

Sorry for all the questions, I suppose it's like anything else, it'll become second nature once I've had the boat for sometime but any advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
492 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Asking that kind of questions here is a great idea and you'll get your answers but take your time and check YT channels and dig a bit deeper here in older posts.
YT channels such as Totally Awesome Fishing - Graham Pullen gives tonnes of advices "how to" or check our forum member John YT channel "Fish Locker" as well. Great advice and knowledge.

·
Registered
11,785 Posts
Doing an RYA powerboat level 2 course covers launching, recovery and anchoring - there’s no substitute for hands on learning. Also teaches very basic navigation and some safety, so well worth while doing.
In that size boat I definitely would not recover the anchor with the Alderney method that you will find on some YouTube channels.

Many people who have boats on moorings don’t flush outboards at all, but if you’re recovering onto a trailer it does make sense to do so. Best done as soon as it comes out of the water if there are facilities to do so whilst the engine is still hot and the thermostat open. Many modern outboards have a flush port and some require the engine to be running and some don’t - consult the hand book.
If there’s no flush port then flush with muffs - seeing it done on YouTube is probably a lot easier than trying to write/read full instructions.
For winter, you need to winterise the engine - I prefer to service before winter as well - means if you find something wrong there’s all winter to sort it out, and if for instance you find water in the gearbox oil, it means it’s not sitting there all winter.
As for the boat - you could just leave it, or if you want to keep it pristine, wash and polish it regularly - its rather like a car - it will work fine if it's allowed to go dirty, dull and matt - keeping it clean and shiny is just a pride of ownership thing - nothing special to do for winter really as far as the boat is concerned if you’re not keeping it afloat. Winter is also a good time to service the trailer of course.
During winter you might want to jack it up so the tyres are off the ground, but I don’t think many people would go that far.

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
Good Morning

I'm new to the forum, just saying hello and will be looking for some advice going forward.

I've been using a 3.3m Excel SIB for about 2-3 years now. Its been great for a bit of fishing and a few coastal day trips around Pembrokeshire for myself, wife and daughter.
However we're due another little one so wanted to get something a little bigger, so after some research I've purchased an Orkney Coastliner 2 (2017) with Tohatsu 20HP outboard.

This will be my first (proper boat) if you know what I mean
I'm so used to using my SIB, its light, I keep it in a dingy park and move it around on transom wheels and I can place the outboard in the boot of my car and flush it when I get home everytime I use it.

The Orkney although still a light boat will be a different way of going about things. What I'd like some advice on is:-

Road Trailering. I have a road trailer (I'd be using it to launch and 200m run to dinghy park) Any Tips, links to good sites. I've never done it
Anchoring. I have a 2kg Bruce with 6m of chain + rope (From SIB) (I'm assuming this won't be big enough for the Coastliner?). Any Anchoring tips
Flushing Outboard. It's a fixed outboard. Do you flush everytime you use the boat? What is the easiest methods?
Deck of Boat. I've read on here that the floor can get quite wet and people having issues with water sloshing about. Any advice on what to do? Mats, bilge pumps?
General Maintenance. What do I need to do over the winter period when my boat is on my drive/garage? Anything I need to keep an eye on?

Sorry for all the questions, I suppose it's like anything else, it'll become second nature once I've had the boat for sometime but any advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mike
Is your boat back up for sale now? 2017 440 on B&O

1 - 5 of 5 Posts