World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been asked by someone to find out any info on these boats, both good and bad.

If anyone has or has had one of these craft please post or PM me with your thoughts and what to look for when buying secondhand.

Thanks

Dave
:)

·
Registered
408 Posts
I've got a Pilot House 20, almost the same boat.
As for build quality and sea keeping, I can't fault them.
One thing I would look for is a well spec'd boat as retro fitting parts to an Orkney is expensive. I would say a hatch or sliding windows for the cabin is a must as it can get very warm in there.

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
a mate of mine has one when first bought it he planed on towing it for which a 4x4 is a must also a steep slip is requierd to launch and retrieve

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi BarryJohn,
I have to disagree with the part about the steep slipway. Quite alot of my launches are from shallow beaches and very "regular" slips. Never had a problem.

·
Raider 18 Owner
6,488 Posts
Hi Fish Force What Trailer Have You Got (i Spoke To My Mate This Morning About The Trouble He Had Launching His 19+ And He Said It Was Due To His Trailer Being So High) He Is Waiting For His New One From Indispension If That Helps

G

·
Brands in general.... Try a few.

I'd just say try before you buy and try several as you may well find that most of the brands have very different characteristics some you'll like some you won't.

Some are light on the bow and as a result are a bit slappy.
Some are light at the stern and have a tendency to broach in a following sea.
Some are dreadful when trying to manouvere.
Some slam like hell.
Some don't track straight.
Some have naff fixtures and fittings
Some are too lightly built
Some have curved windscreens which are a pain as the windscreen wiper barely covers them.
Some the manufacturers insist on putting your electronics in a daft place.
Some don't have enough deck space for your personal requirements.

The are all negatives that can be found on various brands on the market.
Almost all boats have a selection of good points to go with them so there will always be a compromise.
The boat buyer has to decide himself what the compromise is that he is willing to make.
A great place for opinion and advice is on here. Be careful the advice is often one persons perception of good or bad and not necessarily your own.

List your boating requirements and then prioritise them.
Check your must haves and your nice to haves.
Do you want high speed?
Do you want superior handling?
Do you want traditional lines?
Do you want modern comfort?

When you have done all the above and taken onboard the advice you have been given you can begin to narrow down to two or three brands.
At that point go and try them and you should find it will be quickly clear which will be the one to suit your own needs.

Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts