World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I am new to the group and was wondering if you guys own an Orkney Day Angler or have experience of them?

I am hoping to upgrade to one shortly but was reading that a few of you guys have Pilothouse 620 boats, could you make a comparison?

Thanks in advance

MarieK

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hi Folks,
I'm in a similar position, thinking of trading up from an Alaska 500. I still want something I can tow but would like a little extra comfort and safety on trips further afield. I'm looking at things like the Leeward 18 and the Day Angler. Anyone any experience of the Leeward?
Don't know what criteria was used to pick the sample of boats reviewed in Sea Angler last month but I for one would welcome a more comprehensive guide, say all boats reviewed in the last 4 years.

F

·
0 Posts
I love the shape of the Leeward. Its one of the boats that has made it onto my short list along with the Explorer Elite and Commadore

·
Registered
408 Posts
I remember the reviews were really good when the Leeward came out. I think Dave Lewis said it was as good as any boat in its class.
I've only seen one on the water but it looked very impressive, stable and dry. and from what I've seen they have plenty deck space. Not cheap though.
Anyone out there got one?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i like you love the shape of the leeward so much so ive just driven 200 miles from norfolk to gosport to have a real good look at one ,actually arranged for me by andrew scott leewards agent in gosport , we took it out into the solent, the boat named moonshine is powered by a yamaha 100 hp outboard & is actually for sale ,if any body whants details please let me know[email protected] , conditions were quite smooth unfortunatly but she handled very well and i was very impressed, the full wheel house is one of the main plus,s full head room and loads of space with 3 in the wheel house it still felt spacious, deck space is also good ,plenty of room for three anglers ,four would be a bit tight, i am drawn to the inboard version rather than the outboard , it is not a cheap option but after seeing and trialing one ,the build quality is superb a lot of thought has gone into these boats and i will be ordering one by early may , if anybody whants a warrior 165 with a mariner 75 hp including a factory fitted fly bridge gps plotter fish finder and all the bells and whistles and only done under 70 hours since new,please feel free to email me for photos etc she is in super condition and would be a very good buy

·
Registered
961 Posts
It was always my dream to get a Leeward 18c with an inboard. I spent five years thinking of the pro's and cons and was almost sold on them .............. until I saw the Pirate MI21, yes it was more expensive and 2' longer but its a boat I'm sure I will never grow out of, never need to upgrade. I got to thinking about cabin space, the Leeward just wasn't quite big enough for the money. No option to sleep aboard if required (pirate 2 x 6'6" berths) and the freeboard wasn't brilliant.

I still believe it to be a great boat but at the price, they are not cheap. Just have a think "in 5 years will I be still happy ? will I be wanting more". :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I feel the same as John and codanchor about our respective boats. I liked the look of them all and they all offer different things. It is a case of pays your money, takes your choice. My Quicksilver is what I wanted but may not fit the bill for you.

I think you have to do your own research, get out on them, have a day fishing, not the usual test demo two up in calm weather. Make a shortlist and try them all, one will stand out.

If anyone is thinking of a Quicksilver with 90hp and you want a day to give it a propper trial mine is in North Wales if you are prepared to travel, I will take you out on it for a day. If you are travelling a distance I have a static caravan in the garden if you need to get your head down. There is a Quicksilver dealership 30 min drive away from me where I bought mine and they did me a good deal, if you want to try a new one or a different model\ engine combo you could arrange that at the same time as trying mine out if you want.

·
Registered
408 Posts
From what I can tell the money's in the build. Having spoken to a few people they seem to rate it as one of the few boats with a build quality that makes it suitable for some tough commercial use.
Isn't there an option available for twin berths / toilet / cooker etc. ?
Ive been thinking about the full wheelhouse option and my only negative point is not being able to see the sonar, useful when drifting over wrecks. Any thoughts?
Where has the Pirate been reviewed lately? I'll certainly check it out.
What was the fuel economy / speed like with the 100hp?
Any of you catching just now? I haven't been able to get out for a couple of months!! Hopefully that'll change in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
You could fit a repeater screen for your fishfinder wherever you wanted it on the deck or fit the screen where you can see it from the wheelhouse door.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Build quality and materials seem to be excellent on the Leeward and also with the Orkney's I guess, although I havent checked out the 'Day Anglers' in great detail due to not liking the deck setup.

I have the basic plans somewhere for a Leeward 23' which was being built, I'm not sure how they got on with that, I havent seen them advertised anywhere yet.

As Chris says, we all have slightly different priorities, so different boats suit different people and their local conditions. No boat is perfect and you will always have to compromise to some extent.

After build quality/materials my priority was usable deck space, the Leeward has a lovely clear deck, no moulded forward facing seats (which to me are a complete waste of good space). A smooth quick ride, was high on the wish list. I will upset some people here but a lot of new boats over here now, are built with much calmer, warmer seas in mind, its very rarely like the Med in N Wales ! thats why I picked a british design, for our waters.

One thing is for sure, there seem to be a hell of a lot of boat builders vying for our business, so the more homework you do the safer your money will be. :D

·
Registered
157 Posts
HI MARIE, I DON"T KNOW WHAT JOHN MEANS ABOUT NOT LIKING THE ORKNEY DECK. HE MUST HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT A SPINNER! THE DAY ANGLER IS FITTED WITH A FLUSH DECK + SCUPPERS. PERFECT. LOADS OF ROOM AND + SEMI DISPLACEMENT HULL, IDEAL WHEN THE GOING GETS ROUGH. BUY AN ORKNEY!
REGARDS BECKS :p

·
Registered
961 Posts
Apologies Becks, I didn't mean the Orkney's about not having flush decks. Quality boats which have stood the test of time. I knew an old ex lifeboatman who said that if he was caught out in a rough sea in a fishing boat, then the Orkney would be the one he hoped he would be in. He rated them very highly and he did know what he was talking about.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Hi, I have a Leeward 18 (enclosed wheel house), it's a great boat. Full stand up lockable wheel house and I can keep the boat rods assembled inside when moored. - good viz, decent sized cockpit with loads of room for rods.
Opted for the 75hp e-tec engine. good fuel economy, plenty of grunt very quickly jumping it onto the plane. It hits (according to gps) 31mps (27Kts) but crusies at around 20mph. Two lots of underfloor storage. ..... and it looks good. It's is the boat I promised myself.

However I am very reluctantly thinking of selling... my wife told me not to buy a boat before we had completed our barn conversion... with the building costs heading over budget she may well be right... If anyone wanted some more info, drop me a line - she's moored on the Moray coast. (the boat .... not the wife :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi I recently bought a Day angler 19+. It is a superb boat, very stable and does 20Knots with a Yam50. It is excellent in rough seas. Enclosed cabin and plenty of fishing room.
All I need now is to learn how to catcj those fish.
Good luck
Jon

·
Registered
898 Posts
fish force said:
Where has the Pirate been reviewed lately? I'll certainly check it out.
It was reviewed in Sea Angler last year I think. I have one with the 150 volvo diesel with duoprops. What do you want to know?

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
toerag said:
It was reviewed in Sea Angler last year I think. I have one with the 150 volvo diesel with duoprops. What do you want to know?
Hello, wot you doing here? ;)

·
Registered
533 Posts
After a lot of thought and shopping around i opted for the quicksilver 640,,,with 135 merc outboard,,
we are going out in her today from conway,,,bought her last year and havent had any problems so far,,,todays forecast is a bit rough but she handles a 5 very nicely,,
i bought mine in france, from a dealer..picked it up in calais,,,saved a lot of money on uk prices,, if anybody wants further info on this mail me,,,

·
Registered
16 Posts
HI all.
Was interested reading the comparisons between peoples choice of boats, and that in France they sell the Quicksilver Pilothouse 640 with a 135HP engine. According to the Quicksilver brochur the max. it should be fitted with is 100hp.
Iv,e been reading reports and views on different boats and on various websites for about 18 months, looking at new and used boats from Poole to Pompy and finaly took delivery of a quicksilver 640 with a 100HP merc this week. It,s lovely. Well laid out, loads of deckspace and storage lockers galore.
Have sold a wilson 17ft to make way for this one and it feels like getting into a big boat when boarding, with higher gunnels, it just feels sturdy.
In comparison I looked at the

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Kinwife! my mate was bidding on the leeward for a bit but didnt iwn... the guy who got his warrior stolen 5 weeks ago!
Hope the ebay sale worked out without proelbems
D

·
Registered
533 Posts
The Saint said:
HI all.
Was interested reading the comparisons between peoples choice of boats, and that in France they sell the Quicksilver Pilothouse 640 with a 135HP engine. According to the Quicksilver brochur the max. it should be fitted with is 100hp.
Iv,e been reading reports and views on different boats and on various websites for about 18 months, looking at new and used boats from Poole to Pompy and finaly took delivery of a quicksilver 640 with a 100HP merc this week. It,s lovely. Well laid out, loads of deckspace and storage lockers galore.
Have sold a wilson 17ft to make way for this one and it feels like getting into a big boat when boarding, with higher gunnels, it just feels sturdy.
In comparison I looked at the
apoligise saint should have been 115 merc,,,,check out our pics on anglers gallery 4 confirmation, this was bought from a main quicksilver dealer in s france,,,,
you should b happy with your boat we have had no problems,, a gr8 vessel,,,
good luck nat,,

1 - 20 of 24 Posts