World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with this! Please...

I took the rubber trim of my Orkney Fastliner last weekend to clean underneath it and it shrunk so much I can't get it back on :g:

I've tried boiling water and pouring it over the rubbber to make it more stretchy but no joy ... does anyone have any ideas, this is driving me mad it's about a foot short at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Hi Tom
Sorry I don't have an answer but since I am also a Fastliner owner I am interested to learn the outcome. Are you referring to the strip which covers the seam between the gunwhale and the hull?
I remember years ago my Dad bought a Dell Quay dory and he went to see them put the fender strip on at the factory. He told me it was heated up in a giant oven and streched on so I don't know if boiling water will be enough.
You could contact Orkney direct if no answers on here.
All the best
Max

T

·
0 Posts
PM Adam F

I believe he had a similar issue last year with his Warrior.

Alternatively visit http://www.pbsbac.co.uk and search their forum for "Rubbing Strake" or something similar.
It was almost a year ago when this question was raised over there and they did find a solution.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Max, Yep it's the piece of rubber that acts as a fender between the hull and the gunhwale. I spoke to Orkney and apparently they heat the rubber up in a huge VAT of boiling water before putting it on - not sure how I can boil that much water and I don't really want to take the whole thing of!!

Tom, many thanks I'll PM Adam F and search that site.

Cheers, Tom

·
Registered
593 Posts
I just refitted mine, pig of a job. It had to be stretched around 2 - 3 feet. Method I used was to G clamp at the bows with a piece of wood to stop it from marking the rubber. Stretch it well over the length of the boat, without fitting over the seam, and clamp it near the stern, wrap around the stern corner and fix in place. Remove the rear clamp then fix over the seam. It should then shrink to be a tidy fit.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Lots of Fairey liquid and stretching - and a rubber hammer!

When you finaly manage to fit it, leave the long, trailing ends to shrink back in - could take a week!

Get replacement rubber from Wilks Rubber @ Portsmouth.

·
Banned
820 Posts
Max, Yep it's the piece of rubber that acts as a fender between the hull and the gunhwale. I spoke to Orkney and apparently they heat the rubber up in a huge VAT of boiling water before putting it on - not sure how I can boil that much water and I don't really want to take the whole thing of!!

Tom, many thanks I'll PM Adam F and search that site.

Cheers, Tom
I used a paint stripper gun on my own boat to refit that joint rubber. Just go carefully heating it up bit by bit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i helped my mate fit his back on a couple of years ago.we filled a wheelie bin with very hot water in and placed the rubber inside for ten minutes to soften it.we had the bin placed near the bow.we fitted the rubber on her head whilst the rest of the rubber was still in the bin then stretched it out and fitted it aft before slotting it all back in on the sides.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your replies!

Managed to get half back on and screwed down - will wait until the weekend to attempt the other half!! Think I'll need to rope in a mate and keep going with the on with the boiling water.

Probably need to get another 1/2 foot stretch!

Would never have taken it off if I'd known it would be this much hassel - oh well part of the fun!

Cheers, Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts