World Sea Fishing Forums banner

orkney strikeliner outboard size

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Clinker 
#1 ·
well as i am in the market for a new outboard for my strikeliner. i wanted a 30hp, so i asked orkney who said they get asked this all the time, but as long as i do not put too much weight on the transom or exceed the max speed 22knts should be ok .so i have asked my insurance company if fitting a mariner 30hp EFI fourstroke would be ok . they are checking for me . the 25hp EFI is the same engine but revs lower with different electronics. when i get a answer will post what they say .

#5 ·
looked at the suzuki had one years ago good engines but tilt and trim a must as i have it already .plus the mariner 3 cylinder not two . just had reply from insurance they are happy for a 30 as long as i do not go above 25 knts ,some hopes with the strikeliner , also no one under 21 years to drive it and without a year's boating experience. fair enough only me using it and 21 is a distant memory lol.so looks like a mariner 30 EFI for me 78kg with power tilt and trim .hope you pick the motor you want . if you look at each motor you fancy they give the weight. :marinheir

#7 ·
Thanks trev i've had a read and it's helped a lot. I don't know what to do my engine is a 1982 johnson and it's start's first pull and run's fine I think I want a new one just for peace of mind at sea. Buyin this boat has been the best thing i've ever done on more sittin on the rock watchin people goin out on boat's is no more Yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaa thanks for all the advice mate:victory:

#11 ·
When manufacturers talk about max HP on the boat is it the weight they are worried about? Or perhaps the engines input into the boats structure? The way i'm thinking is that I have a 30hp Mariner Mercury on my 16' strikeliner, thats above the design limit for the hull BUT it also has a bracket for an auxiliary motor, even a small outboard will add significant weight to the transom, so the question is i suppose do people that have 30hp O/B's also have an Aux O/B if so what do they use?

#13 ·
When manufacturers talk about max HP on the boat is it the weight they are worried about?
A few years ago, I wanted to push the max hp above the limit for my boat and spoke to the builder. He was more worried about the weight rather than the extra power - but I was only talking about going from 80 to 90 - had I asked about going to 115, I'm sure he would have been concerned about the power as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.