World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a few pics of what ive made to use for off the ground casting with a grip wired lead ive used it many times and it works well every time
just a few old bits of wood knocking around in the shed 10 nails some sand paper and double sided tape or glue took 30mins to make and didnt cost me a penny.
the base is about 5inch wide bita old floor board the 2 upright sections are 3by1inch aprox nail them onto the base (12inches long) from the underside with a 5mm gap inbetween them so the one grip wire can go down inbetween
then cut 2 strips of sandpaper and glue or double sided tape it to the tops of the two uprites, this held to give a little resistance/grip to the lead so that you can teshion up the slack ready for casting.
great for the bristol channel and rough ground marks
i have tryed bits of guttering and other bits of stuff but the lead doesnt lie flat due to the grip wires, fits in my tackle box use everywhere
THIS DOES WORK try it :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the line of the rig doesnt touch the sandpaper ive had no problems at all useing what ive made as it is,, shure a strip of rubber from an innertube or something would also probably be fine as well though, each to there own

·
Doggystyles
5,037 Posts
do you no find the lead losing weight at a rapid rate after being blasted across sand paper a dozen or so times? looks like a good idea you got there :thumbs:

sent from my new GT I9100 As some little scroat robbed my last one

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do you no find the lead losing weight at a rapid rate after being blasted across sand paper a dozen or so times? looks like a good idea you got there :thumbs:

sent from my new GT I9100 As some little scroat robbed my last one
to be honest no
its only very fine sandpaper and its only a very short time before it leaves the shoot its fine :thumbs:
may try changeing the strips for rubber innertube that does sound like a good idea ?
most people cast otg on sand with a plan lead anyhow just shines the lead up a bit, no real damage or lose of lead is done

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Use a 30" length of 4" round guttering, push it in to the beach (sand or shingle) angled slightly upwards.

It;s lightweight and is very simple.

I've used this for years and never had a problem. :thumbs:

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
I think the inner tube will have less grip when wet so your `wet & dry' may have the edge*.

I should think the wear and tear coming of the `launch pad' will be nothing compared to when the rig is fishing and being retrieved.

* plus you can sharpen hooks and knives on it :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
No one has mentioned monkeyspank in the first picture so i thought i would ask what is it lol

and nice idea mate looks like it does the job

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use a 30" length of 4" round guttering, push it in to the beach (sand or shingle) angled slightly upwards.

It;s lightweight and is very simple.

I've used this for years and never had a problem. :thumbs:
tryed it no good to much slip on plastic even tryed sandpaper in the guttering still no good for a grip wire lead as the lead is at a 45degree angle (needs to be flat) il stick with my shoot the way it is i think

if it aint broke dont fix it..

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nice idea mate :thumbs: but i think i carry too much already to the beach as it is without adding more weight to my box :uhuh:
Kev.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice idea mate :thumbs: but i think i carry too much already to the beach as it is without adding more weight to my box :uhuh:
Kev.
lol im working on the carbon fiber mk2 (NOT) :g:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Made one this weekend mine ended up two foot long because that was the lengh of some offcuts i had stuck some old wet n dry on & tried it this Sunday. Absolutely brilliant works a treat good on you for sharing the idea monkyspank Oh & my lead still weighs the same it doesn't shave loads off as some folk seem to think :yeah::clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Cracking idea mate, will be building one this week. Get a patent on it, lol.

@(~~)@ Look at my Monkey.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Bend grip wires in a little more, angle up the last 5-10mm of each wire too, use an outcast clip when using clipdowm rigs, not too much arc that you need to drag the lead/rig along before hitting it, stop worrying about details and smack it ;-)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Bend grip wires in a little more, angle up the last 5-10mm of each wire too, use an outcast clip when using clipdowm rigs, not too much arc that you need to drag the lead/rig along before hitting it, stop worrying about details and smack it ;-)
Are you saying use this method in conjunction with the shute ? or casting straight off the beach ? A

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As previously stated a small 12 inch piece of guttering works wonders fits in your box, hardly any weight does not degrade perfect...

Rich
as said it doesnt work, with grip wires the lead needs to be flat not up at 45degrees tryed it tryed it its no good :bye1:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.