World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I presume this is when the weight is on the floor behind the caster, with the line pulled tight and the rod tip loaded?
Sometimes when I use this type the casting the weight does not elevate leaving a flat cast. can somebody tell me what i am doing wrong.

·
Registered
22,142 Posts
I presume this is when the weight is on the floor behind the caster, with the line pulled tight and the rod tip loaded?
Sometimes when I use this type the casting the weight does not elevate leaving a flat cast. can somebody tell me what i am doing wrong.
Try Pierandsurf.com go to Distance Casting.Good luck Steve Parker.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Use your head look up when you cast and the cast will fly.......when i wos told this i thout the nutter in the feild wos taken the p#ss but it does make a big differnce to the cast.... pick a mark in the sky and look at it as u cast and that is where it will go :yahoo: :yahoo:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Use your head look up when you cast and the cast will fly.......when i wos told this i thout the nutter in the feild wos taken the p#ss but it does make a big differnce to the cast.... pick a mark in the sky and look at it as u cast and that is where it will go :yahoo: :yahoo:
I can agree with that wholeheartedly,I had a few hours on the beach with Colin last year and the very first thing he told me was to look up at 45 degree angle.
The worst thing for me was getting ready for the cast and keeping my rigs clipped but once i got that sorted i never failed to get a good distance, I think the more you practice the better it gets with much less effort, Muscle memory?

Pendulem is next on my list Colin, but to be honest i have absolutly no idea where the lead starts, where it goes and when to release.

·
Banned
400 Posts
aye, looking up makes the world of difference. my casts were going low and flat and barely beating the surf until i swapped one stance for another and now I can cast pretty much where I want.

remember to face away from the sea and use your body wieght to bend the rod.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Here is a question for the experts that could save some pain.

two weeks time i have a knee Op and 2 days after that i am fishing a friendly meet.
I cast left handed so my left leg (rear leg) is maybe going to get some grief>
Is there anything i can do to keep a reasonable distance but somehow do it with a stance that will not get me into trouble with Lisa for being on the beach in the first place?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts

two weeks time i have a knee Op and 2 days after that i am fishing a friendly meet.
Is there anything i can do to keep a reasonable distance but somehow do it with a stance that will not get me into trouble with Lisa for being on the beach in the first place?
Hi Ian ...try standing almost square to the sea .....wind your body up like a spring and lay your lead close to your right leg..........keep your arms away from you body to create a wide arc..........use the rotation of your body to compress your rod and keep you right elbow high......power comes right at the end of the cast .......pick your spot in the sky........and let it fly

MrB

·
Registered
22,142 Posts

Ian before you go to your meet check with your consuitant and tell him or her what you intend to do.Their advice may be to rest.If so take it,don't give your self more problem's with your knee.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
I know what you mean mate, but it is fishing and i have had no Parental guidance for a lot of years.

Thanks Mr Beachams, I reckon i will give that a go before the op so i am better suited when i need to use it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
if you knee is that fragile why not get one of your mates to cast for you till it is better and you can still fish and reelem in ,to me that is one way out ,what kind of distance are you looking at for the fishing that you propose to do

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Good tip purglaspete.............but don't forget Ian don't try to run b4 you can walk............grab the basics of OTG casting and get them right........then take what you have learned and incorporate that into other styles....because the final stage of cast is always the same...........get that right you cant go wrong

MrB

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
research would suggest that most of the little blighters are going at 80yds
so i reckon 100 to be in with a fair shout.

Having someone cast sounds sencible i think.
Having someone sneak me out of the house without Lisa seeing me is also on the cards but know a few guys well versed in extractios for that lol

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
research would suggest that most of the little blighters are going at 80yds
so i reckon 100 to be in with a fair shout.

Having someone cast sounds sencible i think.
Having someone sneak me out of the house without Lisa seeing me is also on the cards but know a few guys well versed in extractios for that lol

Ian,

1. Get a knee support bandage from the chemist. MAKE SURE YOU GET ONE BIG ENOUGH, it is supposed to support you not tourniquet it.

2. Imagine if you can a golf swing. Starts slowly and all the action is from the waist not the legs. The legs are for standing on.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Ian

I can lend you one of these for a couple of weeks if you want:

They're about £30 in Yeovil sports shop. if you want to buy your own

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ian, how long before your knee is going to be strong enough for you to cast properlly? As i nurse i am aware that if you bugger your knee up then you are at risk of artritis (?spelling) in later life.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts