World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not posted a catch report for a while, as most of my fishing is boat.... but as it seems a bit quiet at the moment, this might be of interest. We started the year putting a fair effort from the shore, looking for a Feb or March bass but nothing. By May we were on our new boat and started catching straight away. We were catching fish up to about 5lb, commercial rod anglers then took over , so we ventured further afield and slightly deeper than usual, about 40ft. It paid off, the first 4 pictures below are my mate Jack, with a fish of approx 8 1/2lb, me with a fish approx 9 1/2lb - 76cm, Johnny with a fish 8 3/4 lb ( only 68cm) and a approx 10lb fish measuring 78cm. Weights are approx as it's very difficult to get an exact weight on a boat in a bumpy sea. We've had a lot of fish up to 7lb also, up until end of September everything was coming on Crazy sandell or Savagegear sandell. End of September saw the arival of pilchards, it really was match the hatch as the only fish we caught were on sardine colour shads.
IMG_20200915_083717 (1).jpg IMG_20200902_081303 (1).jpg IMG-20200816-WA0000 (2).jpg IMG-20200816-WA0007 (1).jpg
Due to weather conditions, most of October and up till now, I've been trying from the Shore. It's been dire untill just recently when over 2 trips I caught 3 fish, the biggest weighing 4 3/4 lbs, all 3 came on a zclaw, winding in slowly across a rip !!

IMG_20201113_101937 (2).jpg

cheers Dave.

·
Registered
23,107 Posts
Nice one fella!!! The bass seemed to be good on the boats this year though shore angling wasn't good!

Reactions: bass912

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one fella!!! The bass seemed to be good on the boats this year though shore angling wasn't good!
Yes the boat has been good this year, best for a long time.The fish have stayed out in deeper water. It's been the same on both coasts, we're fishing South but I know anglers who fish the North coast & it's been the same for them.

·
Registered
23,107 Posts
Yes the boat has been good this year, best for a long time.The fish have stayed out in deeper water. It's been the same on both coasts, we're fishing South but I know anglers who fish the North coast & it's been the same for them.
Spoke to a line caught commercial who in a past life was an angling bass guide,he said as a shore bass angler he thought bass were in serious trouble untill this year when commercial boat angling he had never seen so many decent size ones.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spoke to a line caught commercial who in a past life was an angling bass guide,he said as a shore bass angler he thought bass were in serious trouble untill this year when commercial boat angling he had never seen so many decent size ones.
Totally agree with that !

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Some awesome fish, there's some that think boat fishing is a bit of a cheat, but the skill is in finding them and you have to know your onions out there, it a big place in a small boat

·
Registered
625 Posts
Some awesome fish, there's some that think boat fishing is a bit of a cheat, but the skill is in finding them and you have to know your onions out there, it a big place in a small boat
To be fair given electronic aids these days it can be seen as "cheating" a bit, depending on the kit you have onboard. The latest thing my mate has on his boat is just ridiculous in detail, gives casting range/direction to structure and a load of other things. (i'm not saying that's the case here)

Even Kayak fishing makes it a lot easier, hang a couple of trolling plugs out the back and paddle round the coast at various ranges from inside to outside casting range from the shore. Literally cuts out years of hard graft doing it on foot to find marks and general fish holding areas, the downside is you can miss a lot you would get from the shore side perspective.
SD

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
well done fellas ,
makes you wonder if the shore struggle was down to may weed or other algea blooms , bloody horrendous with weed and stuff in the se this year , think i saw a satellite shot of some bloom off devon and cornwall that wouldnt shift posted on here this year

Reactions: bass912 and cfish

·
Registered
23,107 Posts
The bass were certainly out of range of the shore over reefs etc.

Reactions: Ftp900 and bass912

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another good session today, with the best one over 8lbs and measuring 71cm.
Thanks for the comments and yes it is a lot easier from the boat this year, other years I might have disagreed. Fish finders and gps systems obviously help...as do many other things. It's not like we're using split cane rods anymore or the solid fibre glass rods that replaced them. No matter how much you try and have all the advantages in your favour, you still have to be good at using a lure. Johnny had 7 today...I blanked !!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Miles away from you guys but weirdly it’s been the same on lots of my marks on the North Norfolk coast.
Long stretches of usually productive shoreline barren but plenty of fish starting at just 4-500 yards offshore.

Reactions: bass912 and cfish

·
Registered
23,107 Posts
Another good session today, with the best one over 8lbs and measuring 71cm.
Thanks for the comments and yes it is a lot easier from the boat this year, other years I might have disagreed. Fish finders and gps systems obviously help...as do many other things. It's not like we're using split cane rods anymore or the solid fibre glass rods that replaced them. No matter how much you try and have all the advantages in your favour, you still have to be good at using a lure. Johnny had 7 today...I blanked !!
View attachment 1355664
Nice fishing! Dodman way or Falmouth????

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice fishing! Dodman way or Falmouth????
Falmouth...we were thinking about the Dodman but rightly or wrongly, thought we would want my tide for there. Didn't really expect to do very well in the Falmouth area to be truthful, as the tides were so small. The fish came on the feed about high tide and only for about 40 mins

·
Registered
23,107 Posts
Falmouth...we were thinking about the Dodman but rightly or wrongly, thought we would want my tide for there. Didn't really expect to do very well in the Falmouth area to be truthful, as the tides were so small. The fish came on the feed about high tide and only for about 40 mins
Lol watch john locker don't follow you around!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts