World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Hi mate ive got a 1989 mariner 55hp two stroke for sale.its a cracking runner its never given any problems.It has a new prop and a spare ,one controls with it also

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Think the guy said it was allem. Long shaft.
All he said was 16ft boat.

No hint as to what type of hull, planing or displacement. Could need 8 to 10hp or 40 to 50hp or more (might only be rated to 40hp).

More info required.

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
Think the guy said it was allem. Long shaft.
Any chance it could have been Arran? http://www.arranboats.co.uk/why_buy.htm

In which case a 10hp would be ideal, or if you want to reach the max hull speed on a very light throttle setting go for a 15hp.

I'd be wary of buying a cheap one that needs repairing - even with free labour from your mate, outboard parts can be expensive and you can find there's one problem after another and eventually repairing an old engine ends up costing twice the price of buying a decent one in the first place!

But you really need to find out for sure what the hull is - as said previously it could require anything from a 10hp to an 80hp, or even 100hp+ if it turns out to be a speed boat!

For instance fitting a 40hp on the above Arran would be downright dangerous, or the other hand, fitting a 10hp on a planing hull (one that rises out of the water rather than cuts through it) would be a complete waste of time and money.

Come on guys new to this just need some help .
It's not that people are trying to be awkward, it's honestly not a question you can answer without knowing more - a bit like asking what tyres your car needs without stating whether it's a Fiesta or a Ferrari - a 16ft boat could be as varied as that Fiesta and Ferrari!

If you can't find out for sure what the make the boat is, do you have a photo which you could post - you would then get a much more meaningful answer.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Do you know what makethe boat is?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Right then Arran 16 it is

6 to 15hp max - longshaft

Displacement hull

For more details go here http://www.arranboats.co.uk/index.htm

I don't have any spares engines but at least you now know what you need to look for.

Your choice is 2 or 4-stroke but depends on your budget

How about this on EBay 181008156950

or this is cheaper 290800630690

Dave
:thumbs:

·
Registered
11,784 Posts
I have an 8hp yamaha 2 stroke. Its old but runs well and does what it should.
Yours for £250
To Griz 80: If this is the kind of budget you have in mind, I would snap this up, you would have a long and hard search to find an engine that does what you need at even twice this price.

If you want to go for a more modern 4 stroke you will need to be thinking of at least 3x this budget.

Also just noticed where you're from - using this boat in the Bristol channel, make sure you get advice on local tides before going to sea in displacement boat, better still take someone with local knowledge with you and consider doing an RYA course such as day skipper so you understand tidal heights and flows and how to read charts etc - there will be places where at certain states of tide you will only be able to go in one direction!

And make sure your safety kit is up to spec - best thing is to ask the RNLI to visit the boat to advise what to buy. They do this for free - you can book it here: http://rnli.org/safetyandeducation/stayingsafe/seasafety/Pages/Advice-on-board.aspx
Such a visit will also be done by someone who knows your local area well, so a chance to tap into local knowledge as well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the great advise. A mate of mine Byron does a lot with dave Lewis sea angler and a great knowlage . In Bristol channel think maiden vougage will be lan gores lake.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts