World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out on a charter boat tomorrow and just been told that ray and tope are the target species.Now this may sound strange but i really do not get much out of catching ray or shark species.Anyone have any advice for me(bait,rigs etc)to try for any other species which may be around?Would be very gratefull for any advice,thanx.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of lymington and i presume we heading for back of isle of white?Im wondering if i drop a rig with smallish hooks with squid and/or mackie on,what was likely to be biting.

15,082 Posts
If the skipper is taking you Tope fishing I expect you will be fishing over hard ground.This means that most of the shark type species will be there but as you say you are not interested in these.Unfortunately,Tope trips are just that,targeting Tope! If you want other species it would be best to book a trip where the skipper will either take you over sandbanks and target fish such as Turbot or Plaice etc or wrecking where you can either drift for Cod & Pollock or anchor for conger.There is always the possiblity of other fish when looking for Tope but personally I would enjoy the days Tope fishing and hope to get that 'Reel stripping' big one! If you really want to fish small hooks and bait then Whiting and pouting will be on the ground along with Gurnard and maybe codling...Good luck anyway and enjoy your day!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts