World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little Mariner 3.3hp. It's about 4 yrs old and I've had it from new.
Recently, if it hasn't been run for a couple of weeks, it won't turn over on the rope. At first I thought it had seized but a few turns of the flywheel bolt with a socket, having removed the recoil starter, freed it off but it keeps on doing it.

I'm always careful with the fuel/oil mixture and I've tried squirting WD40 down the plug hole and giving it a couple of pulls at the end of the day but it's still solid next time out.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it?
Thanks,
Owen

·
Registered
842 Posts
Possibly water is getting into the pot , via the head gasket, and then seizing up/ the rings are rusting in the bores , and sticking to the cylinder walls, once it has been left for a couple of weeks.
Does it run ok once you've unseized it????
Is the motor left on the boat , in the tilt position, as you should always store the motor upright, to let any water drain to the bottom

Rather than using wd40 , which I think evaporates , trying an egg cup full of two stroke oil poured through the spark plug hole, and then gently turn over the engine with the plug removed to disperse the oil.

Best of luck!!!!

Cheers Ian

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I have a little Mariner 3.3hp. It's about 4 yrs old and I've had it from new.
Recently, if it hasn't been run for a couple of weeks, it won't turn over on the rope. At first I thought it had seized but a few turns of the flywheel bolt with a socket, having removed the recoil starter, freed it off but it keeps on doing it.

I'm always careful with the fuel/oil mixture and I've tried squirting WD40 down the plug hole and giving it a couple of pulls at the end of the day but it's still solid next time out.

I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it?
Thanks,
Owen

DON'T TRY TO START IT!!!!

It could be a simple siezure caused by any of several things, it could be a broken piston ring. But you are likely to do more harm than good trying to turn it over.
Unless you are a marine O/B mechanic yourself take it to one.
But get his opinion of the likely costs of repair first. Worst case senario is a repair could cost more than another engine.

Afishionado

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Don't know where in England you are, if you are anywhere near North Wales or you come over here fishing I have a couple of flexible fibreoptic endoscopes, You can take the spark plug out and stick one in the hole to take a look at what is going on inside the cylinder.

Just another thought, have you changed the gear box oil?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys,
Thank you all very much for your suggestions. Really appreciated.

Yes the engine runs fine once it's freed off. Smooth. No excessive smoke etc.
It is kept upright in my garage when not in use.
I'll try some 2 stroke oil in the plug hole.

Hadn't thought of gearbox oil, ChrisP. Are you suggesting I change it? It was last changed about a year ago and the problem started sometime after that. Either way it's due for another change.
I live in Dawlish, South Devon so a bit far away but thanks you for the offer.

Too late to not attempt to start it I'm afraid, but it runs sweet enough once it's going thankfully.

Thanks again for the help,

Owen

·
Registered
220 Posts
had something like that. turned out to be the casing near the bottom crankcase bearing corroding and grabbing the drive shaft

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.