World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all went out sunday on boat engine seemed fine on way out fished for a couple of hours went to start could hear a high pitched whine.
the starter was engaging the flywheel but the bit what goes into the flywheel seemed slipping around the spindle part of the starter.
just wondered if anyone else has had this problem and knows why this might be happening. the engine is a evinrude 60 1982 abit old i know up untill now a good work horse...thanks

·
Registered
724 Posts
Try posting your problem on www.iboats.com
this american site is the absolute best on the net for outboard problems believe me.
The link to the forums is in the top right corner of the opening page

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
From your description I think it is your battery.

The bendix gear on the end of the starter shaft is not being thrown fast enough to engage. Try a different battery. Your boat battery has lost it's umph over winter

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Its either as ChrisP said a low battery, or the "Woodruff Key" that connects the starter shaft to the starter "dog" (the little geared wheel that engages the flywheel), has sheared, that happened to me on a Johnson 55hp Seahorse (virtually same engine)! Took 10 mins & cost nothing, I took one out of another starter motor.
blueskip

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks all for help the batterys ok,i think the spindle has sheared as there is swarf on top of the starter casing,,just wondered blueskip if you knew where i might get one of the spindels does it have to be from same engine.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Take the starter off and take it to a Motor Rewind shop near you, they may be able to refurb it, a lot cheaper than a new one.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks chris great advice ill try that out ..hopefully be back out there soon ill yet you know how it goes.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
If you dont manage to get a rewind, try the guy I have used for spares.
I have had loads of stuff from David Anderson Marine for various engines, he breaks outboards & has an Aladdins Cave of spares 07836 638932, he isn't easy to get hold of as he spends most of his time with his head in an outboard, but the lady on the other end will be most helpful!
You will probably get his address on Yell if you want to write to him, Iv'e got it somewhere if you dont find it.
blueskip

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks again blueskip is this the fella your on about if so ill give him a call

David Anderson MarineBoat Rd, Newport-On-Tay, Fife DD6 8EZ Tel:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Thats the very man as Billy Connelly would say, he is very helpful.
blueskip

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all your help people.
turned out the bendix (small cog on starter) is knackered new one on order .....look out bass im back.... :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts