World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Sunday All,

quick question my outboard water vent just seems to drip and not flow as it were is this ok or should i get it looked at ? its a suziki 2 stroke ?

water flys out of the exhaust vent :fish:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Send a PM to ChrisP with model and hp details of your outboard.

It sounds as if your impeller has past its sell by date or that you have a blockage. Dont use it until you have advise as you can turn a £30 job into a £500 job! Phone a main dealer for advise. Did you try clearing the tell-tale with a piece of thin wire?

G

·
Send a PM to ChrisP with model and hp details of your outboard.

It sounds as if your impeller has past its sell by date or that you have a blockage. Dont use it until you have advise as you can turn a £30 job into a £500 job! Phone a main dealer for advise. Did you try clearing the tell-tale with a piece of thin wire?
ChrisP has not been a member on here for a while now, but I am sure someone will be able to help.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Try a PM to spannerswinger he's also knowledgable like ChrisP:idea:

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Put the outboard in a tub of water, start it and prod the pee pipe with 80lb plus line, Suzuies are prone to the pee pipe clogging very easily with salt, aluminium chloride crystals.

If it is the impeller and not a blockage of the pee pipe a new impeller will cost you £30 from Suzuki and £15 for a non Suzi one, ish.

Depending on size and age of engine there will be 4 or 6 visible bolts, 14mm AF to remove and one hidden under the trim tab. A few wiggles and the gear box will dop, some have a threaded collar to undo from the gear selector shaft some have a cotter pin, clevis pin to split the gear selector rod.

Once you have the box off there are 4 X 10mm bolts visible around the drive shaft, remove them, the have a tendancy to stick in the alloy gearbox so go carefully and use plenty of penetrating oil.

Impeller is wound clockwise on the drive shaft and secured by a semi circular woodruff key.

Use a smear of Blue hylomar on the mating faces of the stainless plate under the impeller and on the impeller housing, also to hold the key in place in the driveshaft. Squirt of fairy will ease the blades of the impeller into the housing.

A smidge of grease and I mean a smidge, you do not want a hydraulic lock stopping it going home which will happen with too much grease, will aid the driveshaft splines into the crank housing, bolt everything back up and you are good to go.

Check in the tub again and be ready with the nylon as the increased pressrue can dislodge [email protected] that will block the pee pipe.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks to you all after running at a few revs in the tank and prodding away at the pee pipe water has started to fly out it dislodged loads of hard white crumbs ?

I think i will change the impeller as matter of course though again many thanks :victory:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Put the outboard in a tub of water, start it and prod the pee pipe with 80lb plus line, Suzuies are prone to the pee pipe clogging very easily with salt, aluminium chloride crystals.

If it is the impeller and not a blockage of the pee pipe a new impeller will cost you £30 from Suzuki and £15 for a non Suzi one, ish.

Depending on size and age of engine there will be 4 or 6 visible bolts, 14mm AF to remove and one hidden under the trim tab. A few wiggles and the gear box will dop, some have a threaded collar to undo from the gear selector shaft some have a cotter pin, clevis pin to split the gear selector rod.

Once you have the box off there are 4 X 10mm bolts visible around the drive shaft, remove them, the have a tendancy to stick in the alloy gearbox so go carefully and use plenty of penetrating oil.

Impeller is wound clockwise on the drive shaft and secured by a semi circular woodruff key.

Use a smear of Blue hylomar on the mating faces of the stainless plate under the impeller and on the impeller housing, also to hold the key in place in the driveshaft. Squirt of fairy will ease the blades of the impeller into the housing.

A smidge of grease and I mean a smidge, you do not want a hydraulic lock stopping it going home which will happen with too much grease, will aid the driveshaft splines into the crank housing, bolt everything back up and you are good to go.

Check in the tub again and be ready with the nylon as the increased pressrue can dislodge [email protected] that will block the pee pipe.
What an excellent post, very detailed and easy to follow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts