World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd pass this on to you guys. My Seahog has a white hull and as you are probably aware they discolour very easily when lying harbours.

Despite religiously cleaning the hull every year there always seemed to be a dirty yellow band around the waterline that I couldn't shift no matter what I used, until I was told about Oxalic Acid.

You can buy it at a chemist, it's relativley weak, about the same acidity as vinegar.
Dissolve the crystals in warm water until you have 100% solution, put it in a clean weedkiller spray and spray all the hull below the rubbing strake, alternatley brush it on.
Twenty minutes later you'll have a brilliant white hull again which after a quick wash down with soap and water can be polished.

It won't damage your gel coat at all, but do wear gloves and goggles, as it will sting your eyes and is mildly poisinous if ingested.

I've just done my hull and still have to polish off one half of it yet, but does it look good believe me!!

·
Registered
9,541 Posts
That is the stuff in Rhubarb leaves, if you boil them up and reduce the liquid down to thicken it is good for removing rust stains from gellcoat.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb
I tried that once - begged rhubard from an allotment owner (2 weeks) hunted down an old saucepan (1 week), boiled and boiled, got in trouble for mess/poison/smells from the missus ( 1 day reparation duties) ..., special trip to the boat (50 miles round trip), applied oxalic past to rust stain: result - still a rust stain! I thinkl I'll buy some from the chemist next time I try it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another way of removing rust stains is to take some wall paper paste powder and mix it with Oxalic solution. Brush it on and it stays in place.

What do you do with the Rhubarb Chris LOL

·
Registered
4,798 Posts
Cillit Bang grime and lime works quite well too. Wear gloves though or it'll sting like mad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts