World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the hull of my ten year old fibreglass boat very heavily oxidised this autumn. Can somebody kindly advise what to do about this and whether it will need to be done professionally. If so can anyone recommend somewhere in Pembrokeshire
Many thanks
RayTJ

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a general 'dullness' in patches of different intensity above the waterline which shows much more on coloured hulls. I was told it was due to oxidation some years ago but can't remember who by.
RayTJ

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Coloured hulls do tend to show it up more, it probably occurs on white hulls but is less noticeable. Good polish up will sort it out.

I use a variety of 3M products to do mine; some have very fine abrasive properties to take the dullness off then a good polish after that. Not keen on rotary polishers personally but some use them, probably makes life easier on badly dulled hulls.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
As above polish out. However you then need to put on a really good sealer as if badly oxidised there will be micro cavities which will quickly oxidise again even with a deep compound polish. Gtechnic is accredited to be the industry best but there are many other sealants out there

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01ISW5...colid=A2HDA7V3V48F&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

you can get it in larger quantities and a little goes a very long way. Read the application instructions carefully.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Yup elbow grease-lots, a compound and a good polish/sealer. I left my old Orkney to the point where I had to wet sand it by hand before getting the polishing machine out to do the compounding and polishing...so don’t leave it too long as it took me two full weekends just to sand the bugger...but the results are good...the attached is a hull nearly 20 years old 3FD4F6A4-10E2-45FF-AA80-129E51F9EA62.jpeg

Ps be prepared, it will come back and there is nothing you can do about it apart from repeat sealing it every year:mad2: I now have a white boat :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Search “machine polishing a boat hull” in YouTube - there are umpteen how videos - I like Farecla G3 followed by G10 product wise (I do my boat every year) and Nu Finish as a sealer (best I’ve ever used - kept the shine all season with only rinsing with fresh water).
There’s also a good how-to guide on Salar’s website.
It’s the kind of job where plenty of elbow grease and an eye for detail pays off - expensive for someone else to do it, time consuming but very satisfying to do it yourself.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
It’s the kind of job where plenty of elbow grease and an eye for detail pays off - expensive for someone else to do it, time consuming but very satisfying to do it yourself.
Sod the expense. I tried to do mine once. Slaved for days and my arms fell off and it still looked streaky and horrid. Now I just get it valeted every year. In the end it just made so much more sense. Bonus being my arms grew back too.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
i have found that a good machine polishing with g3, then a couple of coats with a good polish of your choice will bring the hull up nice. but i have noticed that the older the hull the quicker it will dull again.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Sod the expense. I tried to do mine once. Slaved for days and my arms fell off and it still looked streaky and horrid. Now I just get it valeted every year. In the end it just made so much more sense. Bonus being my arms grew back too.
Not sure everyone would agree with the "Brucey bonus" :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:..... Ok ok, I'll get me coat

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
Not sure everyone would agree with the "Brucey bonus" :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:..... Ok ok, I'll get me coat
My boat was badly oxidised as an ex Med boat, when I polished it became patchy looking.Polishing properly is an art form imo. Like spray painting. And like spray painting the bigger the "panel" area the harder it gets to be blemish free. Plus on mine when the boat is on blocks the polisher is held above head height or I'm balancing on some stepladder trying to do this. The pro comes with his own mobile scaffold rig and can work more comfortably and get a better finish. Here one of them is busy. It was a two man team and they made the boat look 10 years younger in just 3 days. It took me a helluva lot longer to make it look like a half job when I had a bash at it.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
ShinyBoat.jpg
As in post no 9, very pleased with the sealing properties of Nu Finish which I tried for the first time this year (this photo taken after being afloat all season) - doesn't add any shine itself but keeps all the hard work with the G3 and G10 looking good...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everybody for their very helpful info and advice. The boat is now laid up (I'm too old to go fishing in the winter and my insurance won't allow it), so I'll get it done early in the new year.
RayTJ

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
That is VERY impressive Clinker - how about a few days holiday in landlocked (my part anyway) Lincolnshire. Geoff.
Wait your turn. I have first dibbs! (although why I should have first dibbs is unclear. Lets keep it that way)

Reactions: lewlew100
1 - 17 of 17 Posts